Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,530   Posts: 1,598,654   Online: 748

Tech Pan Wrong EI

Drat!!! I just exposed 10 sheets of TP4415 thinking it was TXT4164 so it was rated at 200ASA... very underexposed from my usual 32ASA with TP which I usually soup in very dilute HC110 using stand development. To compound the problem the images on the film are of a high contrast scene..... Any suggestions of a development technique I could use to salvage these negs?

Cheers & Thanks..... Annie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most approaches I can think of require mixing some chemistry and all would require testing.

Here are a couple of no-mix exceptions (that would still require some testing).
    (1)Kodak D-19 - 2 to 8 minutes at 20 deg. C.
    (2)Diafine - 3 minutes in "A" 1 minute in "B" (you can make your own "B" bath for more control).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have been playing around with TP in PyroCat-HD. The IE I have come up with is 75asa, 1:1:100 dilutions developed for 8 minutes. Normal agitation. Looks really good with great tonal range. I tried some at 400, 200, 100 and 50 asa. The 200 asa stuff was a bit thin but printable. For PyroCat-HD at 200 asa I would probably go to 11 minutes.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ran a roll of TP through at 25, left in the camera for a month then finished the last two shots exposed at 1600 (whoops.. thought I had tri-x in there) 12 minutes in Pyrocat and they were too dense.. printable but on the thick side. Looking at them you wouldn't know I'd changed the ASA.

I haven't printed them yet some I'm not 100% about them.. but they look ok (contrast/grain/etc) too Dense to scan though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not found a dilution/time combination for Tech Pan in Pyrocat-HD that I like for general purpose photography. I seem to either end up with too dense and too contrasty or not dense enough - and have not found a middle ground yet. Earlier (on another APUG thread), I posted some of densitometry results with TP development experiments.

I have been shooting Tech Pan for many years (35mm, 120 Roll, 70mm roll and 4x5). I have tried a lot of developers and my all time favorite is Bill Anneman's Perfection Micrograin - which is no longer commercially available.

There is a Glycin formulation that specifically targets TP and I will be mixing and testing that one soon.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Earlier (on another APUG thread), I posted some of densitometry results with TP development experiments.

I have been shooting Tech Pan for many years (35mm, 120 Roll, 70mm roll and 4x5). I have tried a lot of developers
    Any chance of a link to that thread? Any of you using these TP negs for alt-process printing? If so, have you used D76 for developing negs for this purpose?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diane, the thread is:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...3&page=3&pp=10

These aren't exactly alternative photography application examples, but - I have used gas hypersensitized Tech Pan (in Kodak D-19) for astronomical photography and
    I have also used it in SEM and TEM microscopy.
    Tom Hoskinson

Tried XTOL straight with stand development..... some shadows are a bit thin (...read light sucking black hole) but there is very good highlight separation. I think I am going to try the XTOL with some negs shot at my usual 32ASA... seems to have potential.

Cheers & thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's on my "to do" list also, Annie. Let us know how it goes.
    Tom Hoskinson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin