Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,953   Posts: 1,586,005   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The whole idea of mixing he HCA with selenium was to eliminate the HCA after toning. You're doing it one-step. I personally do not like that way. I dilute selenium with water 1+3 and do the HCA after a water rinse. By diluting the toner with water you can extend the life of the toner. Toner is much more expensive than HCA.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is generally not recommended to dilute selenium toner with hypo clear. The toner lasts a very long time, the HCA not. so you'll be wasting good toner...

A few days ago I decided to intensify an irritatingly flat negative. I bleached in pot.ferri/bromide, then redeveloped in a pyro/carbonate mix. Worked like a dream, gave lots better highlight separatoin, and is reversible in case I don't like the result.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    It is generally not recommended to dilute selenium toner with hypo clear. The toner lasts a very long time, the HCA not. so you'll be wasting good toner...
    this brings up a point: How does one know when the HCA has gone bad? As of right know, I used the fixer as the meter. Fixer just went bad, so my HCA should be bad as well, right?

By the way, the HCA I used in and following the selenium were fresh...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good question - and one I've never thought about!

Sulfite can oxidise to sulfate, absorb sulfide and turn to thiosulfate, or (eventually) decompose to sulfur and sulfate - just like thiosulfate does.

I've never been in the habit of using HCA, so the question has never occurred to me. Anyone with any good leads?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin