Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,471   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selenium toning (for negs) sequence

I'm going to be intensifying a few negatives with selenium in the near future, and would like some tips on how to go about it.

Ansel Adam's The Negative suggests pre-soaking it, fixing, toning with a selenium/hypo-clear mix, and finnaly hypo-clearing and washing.

Is the re-fix really necessary? Could I just wash, tone, and wash? Can it be done is open light, or should I do it in tanks?

I've done prints before, and I believe it was a soak, selenium, fix routine (but I could be wrong).

All and any help is appreciated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andre, I was thinking of trying the same thing on a 4x5 just to see. What I was planning on trying was to soak the film in distilled water for about 5 minutes (on an already dry film and not enough contrast in the highlights for a good grade 2 print). Then I would do a "normal" soak in selenium (1:9) for 3 or 4 minutes. After this, a rinse for 10 or 15 minutes should be ok to clear the film. Dry as a normal film and see what happens. I don't think you would get more than a half to a full grade out of this process (depending on film, contrast, concentration, etc.)

I have never tried this before, but this is how I would do it. I'm sure someone on the forum will have better information and technique than this, but it would be my starting point.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The manner that I do this is to presoak the film, intensify with selenium at the proper dilution, hypo clearing agent (since selenium does contain sodium thiosulfate), followed by a wash, rinse in photoflo, and dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks,

half a grade is better than nothing... My contact sheets are at full contrast (color head), so anything to give me some working room would be good. Some shadow separation wouldn't hurt either, to be honest (there's detail there, just need more POP)

I'm thinking a tap water bath (could use distilled if it's REALLY recommended), then a 1:3 selenium bath for however long it takes (toning to completion might work, I'll test a bad neg first), then wash, photo-flo, and dry...

what do you think?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Re-fixing in plain hypo is only necessary, if you originally used a hardening fixer like Kodak Rapid Fix with the hardener. I don't use a hardening fixer typically, so I don't re-fix before selenium intensification. About 8 min KRST at 1+3 should get you about a one zone expansion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks david...

call me dumb, but I didn't see your first post (must have come up while I was typing my reply)

Thanks a bunch, that answers all the questions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andre,

When I first tried intensification, I also started with a bum negative and put a piece of tape across part of it that kept that area from intensifying. It gave me a good "control" area from which to judge intensification's effect. As a test, it was informative, but more importantly, it was fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Poco,

That sounds like a plan... at least it will tell me what to expect.
    As far as the fun part goes:
    Well, when you do custom framing for a living, and your hands are full of razor blade cuts, the mere idea of handling selenium scares the crap out of you. Even if you are wearing latex gloves...

But, yeah, it should be fun! :-)

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is more selenium in some hair sampoos than in Selenium Toner. Put the gloves on and don't worry about it. Just don't confuse the coke and the toner and drink it. The bad smell is really a fixer smell and is nothing to worry about.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have started to tone some negs in selenium diluted 1:3 in hypo-clear, and have a couple of questions:

Is there a problem in toning negs in a stainless steel tank? I have been doing it in trays so I can know when to stop, but if I'm going to tone to completion, does it matter?

Does agitation (in a tray) greatly influence the toning? Will a "stand" toning affect the shadows more than the highlights? I'm thinking that the selenium might exhaust the way developers do (or at least weaken to a point where my highlights would tone slower), but I might be wrong....

Does dilluting selenium in hypo-clear slow down the toning? I mixed it the way Ansel Adam's "The Negative" shows it. I figured it would be a safer bet when washing time came (I still put the negs in a pure hypo-clear bath for 2 min. afterwards)

Thank you for all your responses (the previous and the future ones)

André

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin