Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,769   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kodak Polymax Fine Art Paper

I am looking to get some opinions on this paper.

I am used to printing on Ilford Paper and have tried a little of Forte fiber paper. I heard some very nice things about this paper.

So before I try some, I'd like to know what I can expect.

thanks...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    David, if you look back in this category, you should find a thread I started on this same subject.

I think its a great paper. Its very similar in final print appearance to MGIV. I found the paper speed between the two to be identical; in other words, I could use the exact same exposure time with either one.

Finally, I like using the single weight. Its the only single MG enlarging paper I could find.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I am looking to get some opinions on this paper.

I am used to printing on Ilford Paper and have tried a little of Forte fiber paper. I heard some very nice things about this paper.

So before I try some, I'd like to know what I can expect.

thanks...
    I've started using this paper and it is becoming my paper of choice mainly because I can print highlights that I could not on Ilford, Agfa, Forte, Seagull, Berger, etc.

I've found using a Beseler color head I need much less contrast filtration than I've been used to. I've been using the C/D Creamy warmtone and find the base paper white is actually white. It is not off-white nor creamy white. An area I am trying to improve on is the shadows. They retain contrast nicely but I would like to get them a little blacker and retain the contrast.

Images
    I got turned on to Polymax SW here, on APUG by Alex and I am hooked on it. I have a whole unopened box of MGIV because whenever I start to run low on Polymax, I just gotta order more. Killer Blacks and delicate highlights in Dektol. Neutral in tone. The 'F' surface is great, a nice gloss with a paper texture. Just beautiful when dry mounted.
    Try it, see how it works with your negs.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really enjoy using this paper, too. I like surface C for my subjects.

Store only the amount you can use in six months because it loses all contrast and has to be discarded.

This paper has a great tonal range and a great base paper tone. I hope Kodak produces it for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, are you polymax fans using Resin? I thought they made this in Fiber but one of the shops in NZ sent me this:

"Kodak only list Polymax 'F' as Resin Coated paper, not Fibre Based."

I've never really gone down the resin paper path. If there is evidence to suggest it's as archival as fiber then I'll give it a try. Thanks

*edit* -also

I'm having trouble deciding which polymax surface to get. You mentioned you like C over F. I have never seen these papers in NZ and have to special order them from a shop in the South Island. I don't mind glossy but don't want anything so glossy that it's shiny and background lights might reflect off of it. Would you be able to describe the surfaces to me?

Images
    I'm using 8x10 Single Weight Fiber
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi, are you polymax fans using Resin? I thought they made this in Fiber but one of the shops in NZ sent me this:

"Kodak only list Polymax 'F' as Resin Coated paper, not Fibre Based."

I've never really gone down the resin paper path. If there is evidence to suggest it's as archival as fiber then I'll give it a try. Thanks

*edit* -also

I'm having trouble deciding which polymax surface to get. You mentioned you like C over F. I have never seen these papers in NZ and have to special order them from a shop in the South Island. I don't mind glossy but don't want anything so glossy that it's shiny and background lights might reflect off of it. Would you be able to describe the surfaces to me?

POLYMAX = FIBRE BASE:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...14.28.50&lc=en
    See Tech Pub G-24

POLYCONTRAST IV = RC:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...14.28.46&lc=en
    See Tech Pub G-4037

RC is reputed to be archival but if I want to feel secure I will use the Fibre with a KRST soak. I use the RC for "give-away" and build my collection with FB.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    POLYMAX = FIBRE BASE:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...14.28.50&lc=en
    See Tech Pub G-24

POLYCONTRAST IV = RC:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...14.28.46&lc=en
    See Tech Pub G-4037

RC is reputed to be archival but if I want to feel secure I will use the Fibre with a KRST soak. I use the RC for "give-away" and build my collection with FB.
    Kodak used to make a Polymax RC paper as well, but I think it was recently discontinued. It printed very differently from Polymax Fine Art, which is Fiber based. The Kodak RC papers are junk in my opinion, especially compared to the Ilford RC papers. My major problem with them is that there tends to be a milky haze over the whole image, as well as a metalic reflectance from side angles. The PolyMax Fine Art (FB) has none of these problems and is a very nice paper with the right image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to find a supplier that ships other than UPS. Seems they all use UPS and the shipping to NZ is more than the paper itself. I guess worst case I can send it to my parents and have them ship it USPS which is usually half the price of UPS..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin