Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,874   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Well the original poster said disolve 100gm into 1250ml of water but if the formula says disolve 100gm into water and bring the volume upto 1250ml then it would be nearer to 8%.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    I'm an idiot when it comes to math and need help with this -- even if I had a calculator, I wouldn't know what buttons to push to figure it out:

Johnathan Bailey's formula for gold toning solution calls for part B created by dissolving 100g of Sodium Thiocyanate into 1250ml of water. Eyeballing, it that looks like an 8% solution -- correct?

But suppose you've got thiocyante in 51% solution form, how do you get to 8% solution? My guess is that mixing 51% solution 1:2.5 with water would get me really close, but what do I know?

The goal is to get 1 liter of the stuff and, frankly, the biggest help would be for someone to just say, "Put X ml of 51% in a graduate, fill to 1000ml with water and there you have it -- idiot!"
    As I commented on a thread some months ago, a quick way to convert % solutions to weight of contained solid is to take the percentage (in this case 51%) and multiply the percentage by ten and call it milligrams/millilitre.

So, you have 510mg/ml (or .51g/ml). You want 80g in the liter you want to make up, therefore you take 80/.51 ml and make up to 1 litre. The answer is 156.8ml to be exact, but 160ml would be close enough, surely?.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Thus a 1% solution of Gold Chloride can be prepared by
    dissolving 1 gram of gold chloride in 100ml of water.
    Plus water to make 100ml. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin