Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,630   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AZO Sample

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually L, Eric was the last to view them before sending them to the last participant and he was kind enough to try and get in touch with the last person before sending the prints. Since he could not get in touch with him, he asked me what I wanted to do and we agreed on a little exchange. I am soon getting a very nice print from him..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would like to see them as well if that would be OK with you guys.

One thing Larry and I discovered during the Group Print Exchange: an actual box with sides a few inches high seems to protect prints much better than any type of flat mailer, just a suggestion.

matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another way to see AZO prints is to join the Traveling Portfolio. It now has (at least) platinum, Azo, and "regular" silver/gelatin. There's also the F32 Travelling (it's British) Portfolio, containing regular, dig*tal, azo, cyanotype and van Dyke (the latter from me )

Of course, that would require sending a print off into the great unknown, hoping to get it back in a year or so
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    I am willing to pay for postage and a few bucks for the paper, but I don't want to invest in a whole pack of paper and Amidol just to see what it looks like.
    Larry-

I just sent you a private message. Please check your inbox.

-Shanesy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We had rain last weekend so I printed instead of going shooting. The Azo and Ilford prints are ready. I will send them out as soon as I get everyone's address and e-mail. I have sent a PM to everyone that signed up.

The image I chose is posted on APUG; its the Yates Center Elevator. The Azo version is printed just like the one posted in the Standard Gallery on grade 2 Azo. The Ilford version is printed on MG IV. It was exposed under the enlarger light. I used a grade 2 multicontrast filter to get the contrast as close as I could to the Azo print.

Both were printed using Michael A. Smith's Amidol formulas. I added an extra couple shots of bromide to get a slight warmtone. For the Ilford prints, 60 ml of BB compound were added per Michael's formula for enlarging paper.

All the prints received identical post-development processing which included 4 minutes in selenium toner, 1:100 dilution.

To keep this fair and "blind", I am not making any judgements of my own as to which version I like best. I have asked to hear back from the participants what their individual judgement is. If none of the participants object, I will post their opinions without names in this thread.

Looking forward to seeing what transpires.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Forgot one technical detail. All the prints were made from the same negative. It was shot and developed to the density necessary for Azo printing. Film was J&C Classic 200. It was developed in ABC Pyro, 1:1:1:7, by inspection.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recieved the prints a few days ago from Alex and I am sending them on to poco. I am not going to post my opinions here untill everyone else has seen them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    I recieved the prints a few days ago from Alex and I am sending them on to poco. I am not going to post my opinions here untill everyone else has seen them.
    Just a suggestion but if you really want to see a print that shows off the AZO process you might consider contacting Michael or Paula and acquiring one fof their prints. They are really the great masters working today with AZO and anything you get from them show off the process to its maximum, and is almost surely going to appreciate in value as well over the years.
    So you get a great print and have the pleasure of knowing that it will likely go up in value over time.

Sandy King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin