Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,331   Online: 1221

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AZO Sample

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

AZO Sample

I have been hearing about the wonders of Azo for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone has a sample image printed Azo that they could send to me. This does not need to be a final print, but I would like to see a print that shows off the benefits of Azo. I guess this should also be developed in Amidol from what I have read. Even better would be the same negative printed on both Azo and a conventional paper such as Ilford Multigrade or Forte.

I am willing to pay for postage and a few bucks for the paper, but I don't want to invest in a whole pack of paper and Amidol just to see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Larry

I know where you are coming from. This is something on my wish list too. Maybe we need to get one or two sets in circulation and post them to members in a rota fashion.

Maybe Michael A Smith could be persuaded to donate one as a form of advertising/promo for AZO as he is the principle stockist

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    Holy smokes, where did my reply go???

From time to time you can get Azo prints on eBay. Do a search under "Azo Print"

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Larry, Phill,

I would like to help you out with this but I'm afraid there is still as much subjectiveness in making an Azo print as there is with an enlarged print. It still depends on the photographer and the printing skills.

My suggestion is the same as Brian's; go to the auction site and buy a print from George Provost or Bill Bartells or anyone else who may be selling there. The price is still far less than one has to put out for a box of Azo and the Amidol chemicals. George Losse has his own website and offers a Print of the Month at a reduced price.

The main reason I say this is because I got to see some Smith/Chamlee prints first-hand a few weeks back. Their's are great and mine are pretty tepid in comparison.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Alex probably has a good point, but if you guys do get something going around I would love to check it out.

I wonder if we could get M Smith to put together something to demonstrate the superiority of the AZO print, I understand this is something he feels strongly about.

May make some new converts! I'm sure we could guarantee that the
    sample(s) would make it back to him...

Matt

(Brian- I also lost a followup post on my Shen-Hao thread, first it was there, now it's gone......maybe an issue for Sean)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OK, you guys twisted my arm enough. I've been wanting to do this anyway. I will take one of my 8x10 negatives and contact print it on Azo and Ilford MG IV fiber. Both will be printed in Smith's amidol, using the Azo formulation and the enlarging paper formulation. I will make every attempt to make the best print I can using both methods.

How about two sets, then you guys can exchange them as desired? It will take me a few weeks as I had planned on photographing this next weekend vice printing. I will contact Larry an Phill by private message for addresses when I'm ready to send them out. I will also post a scan of each here in the Technical Gallery although I don't expect the scans to reveal any subtle differences. Anyone who sees the prints can feel free to comment/critique as desired on any aspect of the prints.

Mind you, I'm not a Master in the Michael Smith league, so please don't expect a masterfully executed landscape. How's this sound?
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    OK, you guys twisted my arm enough. I've been wanting to do this anyway. I will take one of my 8x10 negatives and contact print it on Azo and Ilford MG IV fiber. Both will be printed in Smith's amidol, using the Azo formulation and the enlarging paper formulation. I will make every attempt to make the best print I can using both methods.

How about two sets, then you guys can exchange them as desired? It will take me a few weeks as I had planned on photographing this next weekend vice printing. I will contact Larry an Phill by private message for addresses when I'm ready to send them out. I will also post a scan of each here in the Technical Gallery although I don't expect the scans to reveal any subtle differences. Anyone who sees the prints can feel free to comment/critique as desired on any aspect of the prints.

Mind you, I'm not a Master in the Michael Smith league, so please don't expect a masterfully executed landscape. How's this sound?
    Alex, when some guys wanted to see some pt/pd prints, I asked them to e mail me their address and I put the list with the prints in the order they should be mailed, this way there is no chance of getting confused. It worked pretty well, they meandered their way all the way up to Canada....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good suggestion Jorge. Thank you. I'll do that.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley

Alex, thanks alot for offering to do this for us. I am looking forward to seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Alex, when some guys wanted to see some pt/pd prints, I asked them to e mail me their address and I put the list with the prints in the order they should be mailed, this way there is no chance of getting confused. It worked pretty well, they meandered their way all the way up to Canada....
    I was one of the ones who got to see Jorge's prints this way. The prints were truely exquisite and made me want to try pt/pd printing. I still plan on trying it, but for the time being I don't have the darkroom space to handle the light source - some day. Jorge, did the prints ever make it back to Mexico?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex

That would be greatly appreciated.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin