Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,964   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Go Kentmere for Cold Tone

Tried some 8x10 Kentmere VC Select last night. Wonderful stuff. Probably the best cold tone paper I've tried IMO.
    I've loaded a scan of an image into the tech gallery. Not a great image, but I was just so pleased with the print, given the conditions at the time. It was taken in a really low contrast (dull) situation. Late in the day in howling wind and rain on the west coast. So I really wasn't expecting much out of the negs, but I was really pleasantly surprised with the paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Zone VI Brilliant VC is same as Ilford.

Jon
    Jon,

Do you know this for a fact, or is it something that you heard.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Jon,

Do you know this for a fact, or is it something that you heard.

Jim
    Jim,
    I don't know this to be fact but have been told this by more than one person, and by people whos opinion I value. Somewhere along the way the paper changed is what I have been told.

Mike
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Tried some 8x10 Kentmere VC Select last night. Wonderful stuff. Probably the best cold tone paper I've tried IMO.
    I've loaded a scan of an image into the tech gallery. Not a great image, but I was just so pleased with the print, given the conditions at the time. It was taken in a really low contrast (dull) situation. Late in the day in howling wind and rain on the west coast. So I really wasn't expecting much out of the negs, but I was really pleasantly surprised with the paper.
    That's good to hear, was it RC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    That's good to hear, was it RC?
    As it turns out - Yes. No reference to it on the packaging; maybe you're just supposed to *know*.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Jim,
    I don't know this to be fact but have been told this by more than one person, and by people whos opinion I value. Somewhere along the way the paper changed is what I have been told.

Mike
    Thanks Mike.

I have heard this too. But I have also heard that it was at one time made by Ilford but it is not now. I have also heard that it is Made by Ilford to Zone VI's specifications, but is not the same as Ilford Multigrade paper.

Currently the only FB papers I use are Zone VI & Oriental VC, so I haven't been able to compare the Zone VI to the Ilford myself.

But I would highly recommend the Zone VI paper along with the Zone VI developer.

Jim

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    A few months ago, I asked Bruce Barlow, who worked with Fred Picker and Richard Ritter at Zone VI, and he said the current Zone VI Brilliant is just rebranded Ilford MG. That's all the info I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have had excellent results from Forte papers, both the very cold polygrade (esp in cold tone dev) and very warm polywarmtone (in anything pretty well). If you cannot get good prints from these papers there is not much point looking elsewhere. Take care if you wish to selenium tone either as they tone REAL FAST. Dilute selnium to 1+19 at least! I do not care for PWT in thiocarbamide as it loses loads of desity in shadows. Use selnium first to nail blacks down. have used Jessops VC RC - it is identical as far as I can tell to Agfa MC RC premium in other words superb. Great blacks on quite a bright white base - IMHO far better than Ilford MGIV RC. NOt much to choose from, but at least they stock some of teh best papers in the world - Forte, which incidentally are briliant for lith work, handy eh?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    As it turns out - Yes. No reference to it on the packaging; maybe you're just supposed to *know*.
    Kentmere VC Select is an RC paper. Fineprint VC is their fibre range. Check Kentmere's site for details:
    http://www.kentmere.co.uk/main/kentmere.htm
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically all I use is Forte Polygrade V Fibre. It is great paper. It has a cold tone with a little bit of an olive cast to it, but a quick tone in selenium and it becomes a deep black. Leave it in too long though and you get a horrid rust color, so you really have to watch it in the toner. The polywarmtone is also very nice and I would highly recommend that also.

If you don't mind using graded paper, I have used the Fortezo with nice results, but the polywarmtone is easier to work with.
    Scott Stadler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin