Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,998   Posts: 1,524,314   Online: 875

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    I'm looking for a kind of "Nosferatu/Berlin in the 20s/Klaus Kinski/DaDa" look (if that makes any sense).
    The film brand is the least of your worries.

Buy XP2 if you must and do it at the jiffy print. Xerox the results.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personal preference is for Delta 400 in DDX. The dev can be hard to come by but when I needed it on a trip to Florida a quick email to Ilford produced a rapid reply with a recommended dealer.

The data sheet for Delta 400 recommends ISO 500 and 9.5 mins (which I haven't tried) when using DDX, but ISO 400 at 8 mins looks good to me.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ricardo, I suggest you drop by Monochrom - www.monochrom.com - when you get to Berlin. They have both an exhibition, and a wonderful selection of film. My first choise for the kind of look you want woud be MACO - either UP400+ or CUBE400c. The CUBE film is one of those traffic surveillance films with extended red sensitivity. Combine it with a red filter for daylight use, and you're right up against the border of IR photography.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ricardo, Another tip: www.fotoimpex.de I think you can even rent a darkroom there. Also Efke, Foma, Classicpan, Ilford film.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri X developed in Rodinal would be my first choice. It can be rated from 200 ISO to 1600 ISO to deal with the changing lighting you will experience. I would also have a supply of Ilford Delta 3200 for those situations where the light levels are really low.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    If I understand the 1920's look you are after, does that mean that you are going to use old uncoated lenses and orthochromatic film? Have you considered using a classic Rollei or other TLR instead of 35mm? If 35mm you might want to purchase an old Exakta when you get there.

Whatever you decide to use I hope you will post some photos when you return.
    That suggests an idea. Maybe I should pick up an old Voigtlaender from the flea markets?

Ricardo

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely, on the flea market camera idea. An old Leica would be great too, but very costly. An alternative to orthochromatic film is to use regular panchromatic film with a light blue filter. It approximates an ortho look.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    That suggests an idea. Maybe I should pick up an old Voigtlaender from the flea markets?

Ricardo
    Or a FED Leica-copy? Try EFKE 25 and 50 flims with these, they have reduced red-sensitivity. Not quite ortho, but gives very dark lips
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Assuming you are shooting 35mm, I would go for Tri-x 400TX and xtol. Or even tmax 400 rated at 800 and developed in xtol.

Just as a point of interest a very good commercial photographer named Mark Tucker has posted in his website a lot of pictures from Berlin you may want to look at.

http://marktucker.com/index2.html

Michael McBlane

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin