Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,169   Online: 1228

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Black And White Film For Urban Images?

I will be spending 2 months in Berlin, Germany. Any good recommendations for black and white film (and film speed) to shoot there, in an urban setting, that is.

Would also like recommendations for film I could buy locally.

Thanks
    Ricardo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can only speak from experience but I am very happy with Delta-400 for my street photography developed in D-76 1+1. Then there is always Tri-X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on the look you want, and if you want to process localy. If you want traditional film then you should have no problem finding Ilford FP4 (125 asa) or HP5 (400 asa.) Agfa APX is another possibility. You will need to either process it yourself when you get home, or find a local lab that will do it.

If you want to run it through a one hour lab, the c41 process stuff, like Ilford XP2, is an option.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Agfa still make APX 400 in 35mm? That is my recommendation for lower light levels at night or in historic areas. The very recent (post-unification) urban spaces in Berlin are very open and bright. For general daytime photos I would use Agfa APX 100, a good film that should be readily available. And of course EFKE 25 or Adox KB 14 if you want some really fine grain negatives. Do you plan to process all of your film while you are there?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'm planning to buy (and develop) my film in Berlin, in order to minimize TSA hassles.

I'm looking for a kind of "Nosferatu/Berlin in the 20s/Klaus Kinski/DaDa" look (if that makes any sense). Will mostly be looking for images of urban development/urban decay, squares, subway stations at dusk, cloudy days at the lakes, with a pinch of Olympic Stadium grandeur thrown in for good measure.

(Have been scouring the net for some good photo essays on Berlin to look at for inspiration, but haven't been able to find anything).

Ricardo

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I understand the 1920's look you are after, does that mean that you are going to use old uncoated lenses and orthochromatic film? Have you considered using a classic Rollei or other TLR instead of 35mm? If 35mm you might want to purchase an old Exakta when you get there.

Whatever you decide to use I hope you will post some photos when you return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Does Agfa still make APX 400 in 35mm? That is my recommendation for lower light levels at night or in historic areas. The very recent (post-unification) urban spaces in Berlin are very open and bright. For general daytime photos I would use Agfa APX 100, a good film that should be readily available. And of course EFKE 25 or Adox KB 14 if you want some really fine grain negatives. Do you plan to process all of your film while you are there?
    Re APX 400, I think they do, I can buy it here in New Zealand, but it might be old stock.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    urban light is going to be somewhat contrasty and require a fairly versatile film, able to handle a range of exposures. Delta 400 will provide the least grain and most versatility for exposure in a fast film. TriX would be the classic choice, good exposure latitude and provide some nice edgy prints souped in Rodinal.

Delta 100 is exceptional in either Xtol or Pyrocat-HD, but depending on your camera, you may run into trouble handholding in overcast or heavy shade.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fomapan, perhaps? Though I've never tried it, I hear it is handy for getting that sort of look.

My personal favorites for city stuff are Tri-X and Neopan 1600.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Has to be TRI-X for me for this - Very large exposure range -very forgiving. I would rate it at 200 and I would be carful not to let the camera expose for the highlights. I just took a bunch of street photos in New Orleans using various films and the ones on TRI-X developed in Microdol were the best for tonal range, printability and smoothness of grain. Just my $.02
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin