Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,470   Online: 959

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adox MCP 312...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    I'm envious of both UK and US members - at least you have access to it.
    I'd need to add the cost of postage onto all your prices - and that isn't cheap!

Guess I'll just have to hold off until I can find somebody heading that way who is happy to bring back a couple of boxes; on 2nd thoughts, maybe I should make that cartons.
    Remember with postage, the first unit, whether it's pounds or kilos costs the most, so if you order a box at a time, it gets really expensive, really fast, but there are often price breakpoints. For example 1kg costs €30, but each additional kg costs €1 it makes sense then to order 4-5 boxes at a time. This also gives you the advantage of getting 4-5 different boxes of different papers, sent to you. Find another darkroom worker who also wants paper, and you can order even more. Paper is quite slow, if you freeze it, it should be fine well past the expiry date.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I tried it for contact-sheet making and imho it's nowhere near as good as the Ilford/Tetenal equivalents. It's a bit dull and gray with no real deep blacks.
    Imho again it's the kind of paper that should be sold as "budget" paper for beginners/schools etc.

I might give it another try with the glossy version but I have not been impressed enough to switch. Plus at 38 Euros [34 GBP] a box of 50 sheets in 24 x 30 cm format this paper is more expensive than Ilford or Tetenal.
    Last edited by Pat Erson; 07-03-2011 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Erson View Post
    I tried it for contact-sheet making and imho it's nowhere near as good as the Ilford/Tetenal equivalents. It's a bit dull and gray with no real deep blacks.
    Imho again it's the kind of paper that should be sold as "budget" paper for beginners/schools etc.

I might give it another try with the glossy version but I have not been impressed enough to switch. Plus at 38 Euros [34 GBP] a box of 50 sheets in 24 x 30 cm format this paper is more expensive than Ilford or Tetenal.
    If you are getting no "real deep blacks," then something is amiss. The blacks of this paper are outstanding. Not only that, but any glossy or semi-matte paper out there can give you "real deep blacks" unless something is wrong. It wouldn't be a photo paper if it couldn't. The paper could be bad, the developer could be bad, but more than likely, the negatives and/or the printing are bad.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Erson View Post

Personally I never liked the 312 surface of MCP. The glossy however is my all time favourite. I really like the matte finish of the Kentmere VC Select, wish the MCP came with that surface...

On a side note - Tetenal rebrands. Depending on time and specific paper these were MCP (Tetenal Vario Ultra, Tetenal Work Vario), MG4 (Tetenal Vario Comfort) or Kentmere VC select (current Tetenal Vario).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    2F/2F,

I looked to the gallery and found 3 adox paper examples. They were not very impressive but if you put few of your best prints to the gallery , it would be great to see. Its difficult to understand written on papers with personal tastes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    2F/2F,

I looked to the gallery and found 3 adox paper examples. They were not very impressive but if you put few of your best prints to the gallery , it would be great to see. Its difficult to understand written on papers with personal tastes.
    Mustafa, the paper is absolutely fine, like any other paper made today. It is humans who have the power to make it look good or bad. Put the responsibility for images where it lies: with the photographers/printers themselves. There are very few truly bad photo products made today, and there is certainly not a paper made that cannot be made to look good with suitable negatives and good printing. In other words, there isn't a paper made that simply "looks bad." In general, if you see a bad print, it is a human being's fault, not a product's. Examples from the Internet are no good way to judge a product, especially on sites like Flicker and the like.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    first, hi to everybody as this is my first post! (i'll introduce myself a bit later in more detail as soon as i find time to do so )

i just ordered 3 packs of Adox MCP 310 (13x18, 18x24, 24x30) which are due for pickup tomorrow. i still have the chance to alter my order and was originally considering semi-matte paper, but refrained from MCP 312 as it was labeled just 'matte'. so reading here that it's actually semi-matte makes the paper interesting for me. so my question is: i have seen samples of MCP 310 which i liked (therefore i ordered it, used to use Kentmere VC Select RC before), but none of MCP 312.. how does 310 relate to 312? do they have the same tonality but only differ in surface or is the look entirely different? if 312 is more or less a semi-matte 310 i would probably add it to my order, otherwise i would rather refrain from doing so.

appreciate any answers.

cheers,
    sewarion

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Why not add a small test pack and see if you like it?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    had this idea as well, but there are no small test packs available, only regulars. sure, for getting an idea i need to test it myself, but i thought if someone has some comparative experience he or she would like to share it would help me decide on getting a pack or not.

sewarion

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sewarion View Post
    had this idea as well, but there are no small test packs available, only regulars.
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotopap...ple-packs.html
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin