Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,554   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adox MCP 312...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adox MCP 312...

...is a VERY GOOD (GREAT???), and VERY reasonably-priced paper. I did my first proofs on it last night, and I am very impressed. I think I will be switching to this for my main RC paper, once I finish off these 65 proofs and make some proof prints, just do make sure it will do the job for both. MCP 312 is under 50 U.S. cents per sheet of 8x10, and I like the tonality and the surface better than Ilford MGIV RC, which is nearly $20 more per box of 100 8x10 sheets. Sorry Ilford. I love you, but your paper is not as good as this, and has got too expensive for me over the past few years.

One note for all of us: Freestyle lists the surface as semi-matte/pearl. Adox lists the surface as matt. I can see why Freestyle chose to describe it as pearl in their catalog. It is definitely not matte...for which I am glad, since I like my RC prints on a semi-matte surface.

Like MCC 110, is this another old Agfa emulsion that Adox has reissued?

Long live Adox! Let us hope that they can stay afloat in this market.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adox MCP 312 is the same formula as the old Agfa MCP 312. When I used RC paper for my printing, it was definitely my go-to paper before it got discontinued. Great blacks, and a wonderful long tonal scale all the way up to crisp highlights.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To point that in the UK MGIV is significantly less expensive than MCP.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    To point that in the UK MGIV is significantly less expensive than MCP.

Tom
    Good to know.Thanks. My comments were based on Freestyle's prices. I work a couple of blocks from the retail location, so it is pretty much my only source for most things.

How do the prices compare specifically in the UK? At Freestyle, for 100-sheet boxes of 8x10, it is $47 (approx. £30) for the MCP 312, $64 (approx. £42) for the MGIV RC, and $59 (approx. £38) for the MGIV RC that has been repackaged by Freestyle. Ilford prices here in the U.S. have gone up huge amounts in the past five years. I don't use their paper any more, and will not be using their chemicals either once I finish this batch of Ilfotec HC. As for film, with Arista Premium here, the only 35mm Ilford products I use now are Delta 3200 (though I do use a ton of it), and occasionally SFX.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-01-2010 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Just checked AgPhotographic which stocks both and has competitive prices: Ilford MGIV £28.95 Adox MCP £37.95 £9 per box difference is quite a lot. In 5x7 the difference is £4 in favour of Ilford and percentage wise is only 25% more expensive as opposed to 8x10 where Adox is 31% more expensive in relative terms.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    As for film, with Arista Premium here, the only 35mm Ilford products I use now are Delta 3200 (though I do use a ton of it), and occasionally SFX.
    Kodak film in 35mm, 120, and 4x5 is now approximately the same price as ILFORD, whereas a couple of years ago ILFORD film was about a 1/3rd less expensive. 8x10" ILFORD film is still cheaper than Kodak though.

e.g. Morco prices (UK supplier):

Kodak T-Max 100 - 10sh 8x10" - 41.70 GBP ex VAT (4.17 GBP per sheet)

ILFORD Delta 100 - 25sh 8x10" - 83.40 GBP ex VAT (3.34 GBP per sheet)

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm envious of both UK and US members - at least you have access to it.
    I'd need to add the cost of postage onto all your prices - and that isn't cheap!

Guess I'll just have to hold off until I can find somebody heading that way who is happy to bring back a couple of boxes; on 2nd thoughts, maybe I should make that cartons.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I suspect that the real differences in price have nothing to do with economics, quality, or actual manufacturing costs and only to do with government interference with free trade.

I tried the Adox paper in fiber and it is very good. I still prefer Kentmere (now made by Ilford) which is relatively inexpensive and readily available in the US.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In AU Agfa products were *always* more expensive than their competitors.
    I learned to live with it because I loved the quality and results I got from them.

Now though, without an importer, that cost is really outrageous, and as much as I love the test pack I was given, the cost is just too prohibitive to be viable right now.

With any luck, by the time I move back, maybe (fingers crossed) somebody will have put their hand up to import and I'll really be able to motor through some great images I've been exposing here in BKK and around Asia.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am going trough my last sheets of original AGFA product.

I will stock up on the Adox (or Arista Private Reserve) soon. This paper is so good that I wonder sometimes why I still print on fiber base...

On a more serious note, if it was available with a thicker base, that would be amazing. As many, if not all, RC papers, the base is thin and handling can damage prints very easely, expecially large ones.

I will also give a try to MCC, I guess that the emulsion must be quite close in term of tonality, and probably even better.

Long live Adox for bringing back this absolutely wonderfull paper.

K

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin