Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,007   Online: 751

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Les, What are your exact Water : Wetting agent : 25ml Isopropal Alchohol measurements?

I'm building a tall cabinet (my teacher's idea) with a lightbulb and holes at the bottom (for convection), holes at the top, interior painted with something glossy for clean wipe-down. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    p.s. I'd like to see the Zepplin photos as well
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never used distilled water for my final rinse, though I can see the necessity if your regular water supply is really crappy. All the water I use for photographic purposes is filtered, and in my case It's probably not necessary to do that either but it makes me a bit more comfortable. Here's my recipe for the final rinse before hanging to dry:

PhotoFlo - 2.5 ml
    Clear rubbing alcohol - 150 ml.
    Water to make 1L

Give the film a short soak in this and hang it up to dry in a (realtively) dust free environment. No squeegee or fingers required, and the film dries cleanly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's what I do:
    1. Final rinse in distilled water with PhotoFlo for 2-3 minutes
    2. Wet pointing finger and middle finger in this and swiftly run the film between them once barely letting the fingers to touch the film
    3. Attach clips to both ends of the film and hang dry overnight
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Distilled water, LFN wetting agent, no squegee or fingers.

I have tested both Kodak photo-flo and LFN, tested using fingers to remove excess water and not using fingers to remove excess. LFN was the winner. no streaking.,
    Amen to that, Ann! My procedure exactly - with everything from 35mm to 8x10.

No streaking, no drying marks!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you all use distilled water mixed with whatever your choice is, do you throw it away after each rinse or do you re-use it? Also, i presume this final stage is in addition to rinsing under the tap and not instead of?
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As we do a lot of film we re-use for several days. If you only do a roll or so at a time, I would not keep as it begins to grow "stuff" if allowed to set around very long. I sue a drop or so with a 1/2 gallon of distilled water. And this is the final step after washing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    When you all use distilled water mixed with whatever your choice is, do you throw it away after each rinse or do you re-use it? Also, i presume this final stage is in addition to rinsing under the tap and not instead of?
    I reuse for all the films being processed during that session. Usually around 4 rolls.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Images
    I use the rapid film drying formula in the darkromm cookbook. 12 drops LFN, 30ml isopropyl alcohol to one liter distilled water. I was having problems with water spots with roll film but this seems to have fixed it. I don't use it with sheet film though.

No squeege or fingers.
    Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Images
    Good Afternoon,

I use Photo-Flo in tap water as the final solution. I don't, however, come even close to following Kodak's recommendation of 1 part Photo-Flo to 200 parts water; with the water here, at least, that's far too heavy a concentration. I have an old metal cap from my first (1970's) bottle of Photo-Flo. The cap is about 7/8" in diameter. For a quart of working solution, I add just enough Photo-Flo to cover the bottom of that cap. I suppose it amounts to no more than six or eight drops; the dilution must be something like 1:several thousand. After about thirty years of darkroom work (thousands of rolls and 4 x 5 sheets), I'm just starting on my third 4 oz. bottle of Photo-Flo.

With roll film, I shake the reels thoroughly to remove the excess Photo-Flo solution and then hang the film (vertically) without touching it again until it's dry. With sheet film, I briefly let it drip over the sink, then hang it by a corner until it's dry.

Konical

Images
    Distilled water with wetting agent, no squeegee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin