Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 717

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Wetting agent, distilled water, sqeegee?

Curious what you guys do for roll films final steps. Do you use wetting agent, or just distilled water, do you squeegee with your fingers, use a film squeegee, no squeegee, etc? WHat works best for you? thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a 2 bath distilled water rinse after washing. I only squegee 35mm film, it seems more proned to watermarks.Film on reels I always shake out all loose water before removing it from the reels and hanging. Also in the room where the film is drying I run the exaust fan to eliminate as much moisture in the air as possible, Though some moisture is good to keep any dust down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My system is:
    The last rinse is a bath of distilled water, with a few drops of wetting agent. I don't squeegee any film (just imagine what would happen if you have a little speck of dust in there somewhere...), but hang it to dry in a tall, narrow (closed) cupboard. Before hanging the film in there, I wipe down the inside of the cupboard with a wet cloth, to get rid of any dust that might be lurking in there.

I never have scratches (knock wood!), nor water marks or other problems.

I believe drying marks can be caused by water slowly running down the full length of the film and drying before reaching the bottom. One way round this is to hang the film to dry at an angle of about 45 degrees. Draining water then only has a very short distance to travel to reach the bottom edge of the film. It collects here and drains harmlessly away.
    The problem is how to hang the film at an angle. A "dry run" with an old unwanted film is the best approach here. Trying to solve the problem with a wet, just developed film is not recommended.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use tap water with a wetting agent. I never use a squegee for fear of tramline scratches. Drying marks i've encountered have always been on the non-emulsion side and can be gently polished of with a soft cloth.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Distilled water, LFN wetting agent, no squegee or fingers.

I have tested both Kodak photo-flo and LFN, tested using fingers to remove excess water and not using fingers to remove excess. LFN was the winner. no streaking.,

Distilled water Agfa Sistan 1:500 no squeegee/fingers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    I use a 2 bath distilled water rinse after washing. I only squegee 35mm film, it seems more proned to watermarks.Film on reels I always shake out all loose water before removing it from the reels and hanging. Also in the room where the film is drying I run the exaust fan to eliminate as much moisture in the air as possible, Though some moisture is good to keep any dust down.
    My technique is similar with the following exceptions. After washing I rinse all format negatives in a dilute distilled water bath followed by a rinse in a concoction of distilled water, Triton-x 100 (I believe this is the wetting agent in Fotoflo) and isopropyl alcohol (to keep down bacteria growth).

In my guest bath, I run the shower hot for a few (very few) seconds and do not run the exhaust fan. Experience has led me to believe that the longer the film is allowed to "drip" (slow drying), the less particular matter will adhere. Once the film is hung, I close the door, carefully, and tip-toe away for a number of hours (to eliminate temptation to peek, I scan APUG et c.)

In a house with two dogs, these precautions are very necessary. Why do we have two? Because we don't want three!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used filtered tap water with a few drops of wetting agent and about 25ml isopropal alchohol for the past 4 years and have had trouble free drying. Prior to using isopropal alchohol I had ocasional drying marks for years so I reckon that the alchohol is the answer. I never squeegee or use fingers to clear excess water. I hang the wet film in a home made drying cabinet.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    good info here. I use photoflo and shake water out of the reels before removing the film and hang to dry in a safe place. I never squeegee or use my fingers ever.

lee\c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin