Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,434   Posts: 1,596,877   Online: 1221

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help me to learn Pan F+ and Perceptol.

Hi folks,

I am a relative newbie to photography B/W darkroom use. I have a Durst M670 and I use a Mamiya RB67 with 65mm and 127mm lenses and some filters.
    I would like to learn how to get quality, repeatable results with Pan F Plus and dilute Perceptol. I have bought 20 rolls of 120 film and 5 boxes of Perceptol along with stop, fix and wetting agent.
    I also have Multigrade paper and developer.
    Any users of this film and developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In you're other post I mentioned Bill Spears, PM him as it's his regular combination.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Throw out the Perceptol and use Pyrocat-HD, or D-76 1+1. Loverly schtuff.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use this combination on a regular basis, it is very nice since the negatives are grain free and very good tones. For my set up*, I expose the film at 42 ISO, dilute the Perceptol 1:1 with water, develop at the recommended time listed on the box with an extra energetic agitation for the first and the last minute of developing. As well, I often shoot it at 25 ISO and develop it in undiluted Perceptol at recommended box times. These are some of the more beautiful negatives I have but you need a situation that has a lot of tones in it, as the contrast can be quite harsh (to my eyes) whereas the 42 ISO has a nicer contrast and good tones, just not the same depth as the 25 ISO negatives.

* For my set up and with my testing of rolls. There is no magic bullet as water hardness differs by area, agitation methods are unique and themometers differ minutely.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

DCV

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You've done something incredibly dangerous. You've asked a bunch of photographers for an opinion. One thousand photogs....one thousand opinions. Use the manufacturer's instructions as a starting point and then do things to your own taste. That will make it one thousand and one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Throw out the Perceptol and use Pyrocat-HD, or D-76 1+1. Loverly schtuff.
    I am sure that they are lovely, but I already have 5 boxes of Perceptol. I found a site called digitaltruth when I searched for Pan F+ and Perceptol.
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...tol&mdc=Search

Shooter
    35mm
    The die is cast as you say so follow the recommendations on the Ilford site( if anything it's better than digital truth because its Ilford film and developer) or do as Ian grant recommended and PM Bill Spears. There's nothing like corresponding with a regualr user of a film dev combo to get insights that the Ilford site cannot provide.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haven't shot scads of this combination, but: 1+2 for 13.5 minutes, 20c. 4 inversions first 30s, then two every 30s. This will get you very close very fast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry, ISO 32. Actually, this is listed as such on the MDC .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The die is cast as you say so follow the recommendations on the Ilford site( if anything it's better than digital truth because its Ilford film and developer) or do as Ian grant recommended and PM Bill Spears. There's nothing like corresponding with a regualr user of a film dev combo to get insights that the Ilford site cannot provide.

Best of luck

pentaxuser
    That is the 2nd suggestion to contact Bill Spears. I now hope that he actually responds to this discussion.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin