Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,949   Online: 862

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Ethol LPD replenishment?

I am trying out some Ethol LPD (Lasting Print Developer) and would like to locate the replenishment instructions for various dilutions—can anyone provide instructions referred to on the back of the can, or...? Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mix up the gallon kit according to the instructions.

Take 1/3 of the gallon and mix with water to one gallon; this is your working solution.

Take the remaining 2/3 of the concentrate and mix with water to one gallon total volume; this is your replenisher.

For every 30 8x10 prints you make you replenish 300ml.

After your printing session and replenishment you top up the working solution to a full gallon.

Store the replenisher in an accordion bottle or find a way of storing it in a container with as little air getting to it as possible.

When you have used up your replenisher you must mix a new batch. But instead of using water to mix the new concentrate into working solution, you use the old developer - this way you get the benefits of your replenished batch in the new working solution as well.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    Thank you, Thomas. This sounds like the "neutral" solution that you are working with. I started with that yesterday, and finding it a bit warm for my paper and mood, "cooled" the dilution to make it 1:1. I am guessing that the replenishment amount might go up to 500ml of stock, and that the warmer dilutions might not replenish as readily?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The replenishment instructions only describe the 1:2 ratio, unfortunately; if you want to try any other dilution you are on your own with testing and all. I'm sure there's some sort of math that can be applied to it.

Life span of the developer, used as described above, is about six months.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My old direction sheet says you can "dilute stock solution 1:1. For this purpose, use straight stock solution as your replenisher."
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's interesting, John. I haven't seen that in the instruction sheet that was provided to me by a fellow photographer.

I guess there must be more than one version of it floating around. Does it say how much to replenish?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    That's interesting, John. I haven't seen that in the instruction sheet that was provided to me by a fellow photographer.

I guess there must be more than one version of it floating around. Does it say how much to replenish?
    No, it does not. But is says in one para that one can assume a double-weight print uses about half an ounce of developer. In another para, referring to using the liquid concentrate, that after 20 prints, bring the level of the tray up to its original level using concentrate mixed a replenisher.

The old, developer-stained copy I have is listed as Bulletin No. 8K. I see no date on it. To the best of my knowledge, Ethol no longer gives replenishment instructions.
    Last edited by Anscojohn; 05-18-2010 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, they don't give replenishment instructions directly on the can (I only use the powder), but it is also printed on the can:

"REPLENISHMENT For data on replenishing, write us for a technical bulletin".

Address:
    BKA (Brandess/Kalt/Aetna)
    701 Corporate Woods Pkwy
    Vernon Hills, IL 60061

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Thomas,

I hope you see this and apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've got a question...

I'm on my last batch of dektol and I have a can of LPD to try. I'll probably be ready to try about a month from now. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the change or not... I've gotten used to dektol, but it would be nice not to have to mix new working solution when it's been a few days between printing sessions.

When you go to add your 300ml, after making the equivalent of 30 8x10 prints, is there always room to add the 300ml? In other words, has that much always been carried over to the stop bath? Or do you sometimes have to discard some of the working solution to make room to add the replenisher?

Thanks!
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Mix up the gallon kit according to the instructions.

Take 1/3 of the gallon and mix with water to one gallon; this is your working solution.

Take the remaining 2/3 of the concentrate and mix with water to one gallon total volume; this is your replenisher.

For every 30 8x10 prints you make you replenish 300ml.

After your printing session and replenishment you top up the working solution to a full gallon.

Store the replenisher in an accordion bottle or find a way of storing it in a container with as little air getting to it as possible.

When you have used up your replenisher you must mix a new batch. But instead of using water to mix the new concentrate into working solution, you use the old developer - this way you get the benefits of your replenished batch in the new working solution as well.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ned,

If I print as much as 30 8x10 equivalent, there is always room for the 300 ml.
    Usually I don't print that much so for the most part I just end up topping up my gallon of working solution. There is a fair bit more chemical transfer than most people think.

It's a very nice and economical way to print.

Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Hi Thomas,

I hope you see this and apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've got a question...

I'm on my last batch of dektol and I have a can of LPD to try. I'll probably be ready to try about a month from now. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the change or not... I've gotten used to dektol, but it would be nice not to have to mix new working solution when it's been a few days between printing sessions.

When you go to add your 300ml, after making the equivalent of 30 8x10 prints, is there always room to add the 300ml? In other words, has that much always been carried over to the stop bath? Or do you sometimes have to discard some of the working solution to make room to add the replenisher?

Thanks!
    -Ned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin