Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,940   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

J and C 100 4x5, WOT A BURN!

I haven't shot 4x5 B&W in years and years because my enlarger only takes up to 6x7 but I have a 4x5 view camera and 4x5 reels for my JOBO so I thought it would be cool to shoot some even though I would only be able to contact it until perhaps I stumble upon a good deal on an enlarger.

So I order a couple of packs of J&C 100. I wait a week for it to arrive, excited and ready to do some LF shooting this holiday weekend. I can't believe it! The film is too wide to fit in a standard 4x5 holder???? I tried it in both Lisco and Fidelity holders and no luck, it won't go in without buckling! When compared to a sheet of Ektachrome it is about 1/16th of an inch wider. How the heck do people shoot this stuff? I can't be the first person to get stuck like this. Why no warning? Are there any other films that I need to avoid? I guess I'll load up my rollfilm back until I can order some Kodak or Ilford sheets.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a thread that was started about this a few days ago. Seems some of the boxes are running 1-2 mm bigger than they are supposed to. Call J&C and they will sort things out for you.
    RL Foley

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other thread is approaching 3000 views. I would think J&C is more concerned about the problem than any of us.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting. I've noticed that Efke PL100 is slightly wider than Kodak 4x5" films. It still fits in a normal holder, but I had to adjust my Nikor processing reel for it. Fortunately, Tri-X still fits the reel at the slightly wider setting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there a jobo daylight tank to develop 4x5 film?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Is there a jobo daylight tank to develop 4x5 film?
    Yes, they have 4x5 reels and a loader for their rotary tank system.
    Once in the tank you process just like rollfilm.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Keepin the LF Faith

Please don't give up on J & C! Who else is actively trying to import new LF emulsions and ULF sizes- and the price is right!

I'm sure they will straighten this screwup out- the days of LF Tri-X may be coming to an end!

We need these guys!

I hope you will consider giving them a mulligan. (No- I don't work there!)

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with Matt, I recently ordered some 12x20 from photowarehouse and it had the same problem....hmm..maybe the same guy is cutting for both...

Anyhow, this is the first mistake in 2 years, how many of us can say we have done only one mistake in 2 years in our jobs? As I said in another forum, I am willing to give them another chance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with JandC is very limited, but very good. I've bought 100 rolls of the Surplus MacoPhot UP100+ they had for sale a while back, and judging from it, I'll buy hundreds more of their film. Remeber, kodak and Ilford screw up too (isn't there a recall on XP-2?). I think that if they are willing to fix it, give them the chance.

And no, I don't work there either, but they might be our saviors when the big corporations modernize and go the digital route.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said in the other thread, I have decided to keep my one pack of oversized J&C Pro 100 to use for making internegatives from 4x5 or 35 mm transparencies and for making interpositves contact printed from 4x5 negs. For the low price it is good for experimenting even if it won't fit film holders. I am sure that the cutting problem will be solved.

If anyone comes up with a quick and easy way to slice 2mm from the sheet film, let us know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin