Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,647   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Efke 25 oddity

Efke 25 oddity

Just shot my first couple of rolls of Efke R25. Developed in Microdol-X 1:1 10min 68F, seems OK. Fixed in TF-4 with a rinse between dev/fix. Wash, then 30sec in PhotoFlo and up to dry.

Hmm... what's this? There's something gummy on my film! On one of the rolls, along the edges of the first frame is something sticky, like sticker glue. I pull some off, leave some on. Now that the film has dried the gum is hard. Never seen anything like it before! What on earth is this?!

Looks like a very nice film!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Efke films have a light coating of gelating on top of the emulsion to protect it. You did not mention presoaking the film in water before development.
    You must presoak to get rid off this gelatin or at lest to soften it up enough that it dissolves when developing. I bet that is it.

Hmm, no I didn't presoak...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    christian ...

i've heard great things about ekfe film and i've wanted to give it a try. do all their films have a gelatine layer (sheet film) or is it only on their roll films.

thanks!
    -john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once had a similar thing happen. I was able to trace it back to the last rolls of film that I had developed, which I had dried on the reel in a hot-air dryer. Some of the emulsion from those rolls had stuck to the reels when I took them off. When I later developed more film, the emulsion on the reels decided to migrate to the film surface and deposit itself there. It was a weird thing, so I doubt that what happened here is the same thing, but who knows....thought I'd throw it out there.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Efke 25 is a unique film that you might enjoy. Efke and some other films require a water prewash to remove that anti-halation dye before developing. It does not harm any b&w film to prewash for 1 minute. I prewash all sheet film in the Yankee tank.

I do not think that the lack of prewashing would cause a gummy residue as you describe. I also suspect contamination in the reel or tank.

I already like this film! I put a couple of frames from the first two rolls here and here in my photo.net portfolio.

I kind of suspected contamination, but there was also another roll of R25 and three rolls of 35mm Delta 400 in the same tank. The gummy edges are next to frame one, which of course is the tail end going on the reel. I did brush the reels clean the day before under running water, perhaps there was something on the brush I used. Seems awfully remote though.

I didn't have any problems getting the dye off in the wash. I can understand the reason for presoaking with a 4 or 5 minute type developer like HC-110, but diluted Microdol-X isn't exactly rapid...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jan, I love your pictures!

No film has been subject of so much rumor and just plain bovine excreta as EFKE R25. It's a film. It's as close as it's possible to get to the old ADOX R25. But it's not a thick-emulsion film, and there's no voodoo necessary to use it.

It no more requires pre-wash than any other film on the market. But pre-wash is often a good idea anyhow, at least IMHO. It certainly doesn't hurt.

It has no extra gelatine layer that must be removed. There is nothing at all that must be removed, and the film needs no extra precautions.

Maybe the gummy residue was just that - excess sticker glue? The roll films are taped to the backing; it's quite possible they've had a minor accident with the tape...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jan,

The shell pictures are really beautiful. You are a master of the light painting technique. I have used the EFKE in 35 mm only.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is a long thread regarding the gelating coating of Efke films at michaelandpaula.com forum. If you are interested look under the category "Developing film" and look for the thread "Uneven Stain". It might be of help. At least you will see that Efke films do have a gelating coating on top of the emulsion, and that they must be presoaked to get even results. I had seen my prints come up blotchy because of this very thing. Once I started presoaking the problem went away.

So who knows... It might be taht or maybe like you said it is a matter of contamination.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin