Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,343   Online: 806

Shooter
    Medium Format

Developing Agfa Scala using D-76; 9min with stock, what would 1+1 dilution time be?

Hey guys.
    I finally managed to win some Scala film off eBay, although it expired in 1998. I`m taking a chance with the date, but the price was decent.

I plan to try to develop a roll of it as a neg in D-76. The dev time for stock, listed with digital truth: http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...-76&mdc=Search, says 9 minutes. But I`m going to be using a dilution of 1+1. What kind of adjustment in the time would you recommend I make?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use (I think) 8 minutes for standard 1+9 dilution with Paterson FX39. I wouldn't rely too heavily on numbers from digital truth. It's much better to check with people here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Honestly, based on what I did with this film in HC-110, that sounds long to me, though I do not claim to have tried this combination myself. Scala was a very contrasty emulsion with a high maximum density; characeristics that are fitting for a film designed for reversal, but give you a "difficult" film good for nothing but special purposes as a neg. I used it only in very flat light, such as overcast landscapes. If it helps at all, I rated it at 100 as a neg and developed in HC-110 dilution H (an unofficial dilution that is twice as dilute as dilution B) for five to eight minutes, depending on the contrast I wanted. Even at five and six minutes in that highly dilute developer, I still got contrasty negatives. (However, this is exactly why I chose to use the film in the first place: to inject a very flat scene with a healthy shot of contrast.) If I had not used it solely to shoot in flat light, I probably would have applied even more EC by rating it at 50 or 25, and really have gone to lengths to pull the emulsion. It is up to you, but I would just hold the film for situations in which you want a very high contrast black and white negative film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anybody else have any thoughts of what kind of time I should go with? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot scala as a negative as though it is apx100, which is largely what I understand this emulsion is, but coated on a clearer than normal film base.
    So use published times for apx100 as a starting point.
    If you shot it at 200, you will need to do a push over normal development.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How much is a push over, and do you think there will be any problems using 12 year old refrigerated film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A push over is approximately 30% longer development time, and 12 year old refrigerated Scala should be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't push Scala unless I wanted super high contrast. It is contrasty enough (i.e. very) that it can survive a one stop underexposure without any development alterations. Pushing it will likely make it harder to print. The film doesn't look like APX 100 to me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just tried to develop a Agfa scala with D-76 diluited (1+1). 12 minutes.
    Result: Horrible !
    i got a flat, dull, underveloped negative.
    D-76 diluited is too weak for Agfa Scala (that's my humble and instinctive opinion)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I developed some in D76 1+1 for 15 mins @68f agitate 30 sec initial and 10 seconds every three mins, and got some decent negatives from it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin