Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,101   Online: 923

View Poll Results: Will Rollei Retro 100 Tonal be the heir of AGFA APX100?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 12.50%
  • No

25 44.64%
  • I need to see more from it and test it my self

24 42.86%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nah--too much work. I'd rather go out and shoot film thansit on a computer like a geek all day.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although the 120-samples are hard to compare due to the variable contrast between samples, some points are clear to see and just as expected in 4x5: More grain with PO100c, less sharpness and a darker red-patch on the color-chart. Contrast is about equal judged by the white-to-black-patches of the chart which are shown in the picture. Have a look here if you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1192

Tonal obviously is not a suitable substitute for APX 100 as Robert already clarified over on the rangefinderforum: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=90046

Quote: "The only thing they have in common is they are iso 100."

Robert, thanks for clarifying this!

Now let's go out and expose whatever floats our boats...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darker red patch smells of aerial/surveillance to me. Especially on a poly base. Not that that in itself is bad - but it strongly brings to mind repackaging of an industrial film. What film is it really? Anyways, I do like the tones in the branch/water shot though.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Darker red patch smells of aerial/surveillance to me. Especially on a poly base. Not that that in itself is bad - but it strongly brings to mind repackaging of an industrial film. What film is it really? Anyways, I do like the tones in the branch/water shot though.
    I do not agree with you: aerial is often extended red sensitivity. So lighter red patch ! Here we have darker red patch, so, ortho film. Nothing to do with aerial or surveillance.
    Moreover, I just developped my first roll. And whan I prewet, the color of the cast was very unusual... never seen that...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    color of the cast was very unusual
    Orange you mean, like the Dutch worldcup in our streets at the moment

Darker red patch smells of aerial/surveillance to me
    Surveillance films are sensitive in the NIR area so just the opposite. This Tonal 100 film is more reacting like Ortho film. In fact 625nm makes it possible to develop with a very dark red lamp on sight.

On the other hand the film should not be used with a red filter. Using a Yellow filter is possible.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Orange you mean, like the Dutch worldcup in our streets at the moment

I would have said blue, like french football team

the analog place to be

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Test of Rollei Retro 100 Tonal against AGFA APX100

Sorry my brain was in print land. I had figured it had extended red response and hence more density but this is a negative
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My contribution.
    I have just exposed my first roll of Retro 100 Tonal @ ISO 100 and developed in rodinal 1+25 for 9 minutes at 20°C.
    In my opinion, grain is not very thin, but it is very well defined, and tonality is beautiful.
    I think that we do not have to compare it with APX but with Acros 100. I'll do the test further. And I'll test other developers too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rollei product looks muddy compared to APX100. Longer development might help some, since contrast is part of the issue, but I can't see it curing the problem. As mentioned by others, grain and sharpness also seem to be inferior.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    PLEASE! Is there a way you read what is written ABOVE ????????

indeed, Retro 100 tonal has never been thought by Rollei to replace APX film !! Never !

This is a new film that do not fit any other existing film. Just a brand new film.

This film is a near ORTHO film. And the most appropriate developer has to be found yet .

Please, consider that.

the analog place to be

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin