Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,469   Online: 948

View Poll Results: Will Rollei Retro 100 Tonal be the heir of AGFA APX100?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 12.50%
  • No

25 44.64%
  • I need to see more from it and test it my self

24 42.86%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Rollei Retro 100 Tonal (in 120 ) will not curl like Efke. It has been made on 100 micron Polyester with an effective non-curling layer. My first (120) negatives are in their sleeves now and they are flat. They were dryed at room temperature in a regular 60% humidity.
    Orthopanchromatic emulsion, flat negs and polyester sounds great in my ears. I will definitely try this film.

The explanation of the name:
    Yes, I read that, but I still don't like the "Retro" part. But I don't like the word "Classic" in product names either. I guess I'm just oversensitive. All the cameras for film I use are very old, but I refuse to see them as "things of the past". My "newest" camera is a Rolleiflex 3,5F from the 60's.
    J. Patric Dahlén

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    WTF
    I dont to scientific testing here. And this post in all ways learned me one thing; dont use the word "test" anymore. Not before i use D76 and box speed.

My point is to show a new fil in use up against other films in the way i use film and developer combos. Nothing else. Period.
    No. But your comparison (it's not a test, of course) looks like this, sorry for the pun:

- 1 new car that you want to present
    - 1 formula 1 racing car, but with a VW Beetle engine
    - 1 BMW M3 series, driving in reverse
    - 1 Space Shuttle, dragged by a tractor

And now the results are... what are they? Meaningful?

If you don't want to make a comparison, the title "Test of Rollei Retro 100 Tonal against AGFA APX100"? probably raised false expectations.

I am sorry if you get the impression that I am making fun of you. I don't, but I always exaggerate to make things clear.

One final note: if you use Plus-X, Tri-X and APX 400 in a way the manufacturers recommend it you will get much better results. It's a very simple recommendation, but it helped generations of photographers to achieve good results without too much testing.
    Last edited by cmo; 06-03-2010 at 05:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    One final note: if you use Plus-X, Tri-X and APX 400 in a way the manufacturers recommend it you will get much better results. It's a very simple recommendation, but it helped generations of photographers to achieve good results without too much testing.
    I really shouldnt care. But for newcomers in this way of working, i respond. With your way of thinking, the world would be a very bored place for me. If Andy Warhol used photography products as manufacturers recommended, we wouldnt have the soupboxes, Monroe and the Polaroid series. Ansel Adams wouldnt make up the zone system and experiment at all. Your way of "teaching" photography is in my thinking stupid and stone age. I like to check out what photographic materials can do for me under different circumstanses and chemicals. And if you say that my style of photography isnt good enough results, that my photos would be better if i shoot box speed and use plain D76, im fine with that. But i dont agree.

Mabe this will provoke you: http://www.barnbaum.com/Portfolios/Portfolios.html Bruce Barnbaum on half of box speed and developer dillutions that you describe as "wrong and strange"

So my message to the community people who wants to test/check/try/experiment/walk down new and un-known paths: Do it, try it, test it. Se how your photomaterials reacts on your methods. Dont listen to they who try to tell you there is correct way or a wrong way.

My initial "test" was to run the new Rollei film like it was an APX100 to see how it ended up. I developed it like i develop APX100 in 85% of the times i use APX100.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I wrote my reply I was afraid you would get me wrong. In the end, you did.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    MOre than speaking I prefer to work and to test.
    These are two samples of retro 100 TONAL exposed @ 50 ISO and developed in PMK.
    Grain is discret.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LV-Tonal1.jpg   LV-Tonal2.jpg  
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's more like it. While I won't say it is the same as APX100, the shot by Aurelien has a similar subjective "feel" between the two films. Alternatively the scene and subject matter go very well with both films.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Another high res scan with a crop to see the grain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LV-Tonal3-2.jpg   LV-Tonal3.jpg  

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have to add that the use of PMK is very adapted: negatives stains very well, look:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LV-Tonal3neg.jpg  

the analog place to be

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Grain is discret.
    What film format was that?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    That was 6*7.

the analog place to be

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin