Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,969   Online: 858

View Poll Results: Will Rollei Retro 100 Tonal be the heir of AGFA APX100?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 12.50%
  • No

25 44.64%
  • I need to see more from it and test it my self

24 42.86%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the white spots comes only with this film. Today im going to test it in demineralized water who also i destilled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It IS the water, I also tested them out. With simple demi water you do not have it. BTW I did not have them with AM74 (in tap water) or CG512 as well. With Rodinal the "problem" is there. Not sure where it's comming from.

Left side is light leak
    You have to keep the roll straight and tight when unloading. Polyester tends to unroll so tight and closing the end strip. Otherwise you will have a light leak on Polyester film material (Foma, Efke, Rollei aso.) .

Polyester has advantages and disadvantages but this Polyester film lays down very straight where Fomapan 100/400 and Efke 25-50-100 on 120 rollfilm (Polyester) is curling much.

Next Tonal film is on adventures Ravenstein 650 years, incl. a battle field near the river Maas. E.I. 100. 667 RF camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schröder CEO Rollei-Maco company:

Hallo, seit vielen Monaten wird dieser Film, zuerst aus der Technikums-Produktion Herbst 2009,
    anschliessend aus der industriellen Grossproduktion Anfang 2010 in der Praxis getestet. Die Erkenntnisse
    aus diesen Versuchsreihen liegen hier bei mir vor.

Alle Erfahrungen wurden bislang erst einmal in kleiner Runde ausgetauscht.

Warum?
    Weil bereits Mitte 2009 der Termin Juni 2010 zur Markteinführung festgelegt worden ist.
    Die Markteinführung wird über nur wenige Partner erfolgen, die sich bereits seit Jahren sehr intensiv
    in dieses Projekt eingebracht haben. Über unser Haus wird der Retro 100 TONAL ab Januar 2011 dem
    Markt angeboten.

Da der gute Uwe noch schon etwas "vorgeprescht" ist (danke für dein Engagement, Uwe) ganz kurz
    der Hinweis auf "dots" in der Emulsion. Diese sind erfahrungsgemäss weitestgehend zu vermeiden,
    wenn die Entwickler mit Ansatzwasser/dest. Wasser angesetzt werden - wenn eine evtl. Vorwässerung
    ebenfalls mit einem Doseninhalt dest. Wasser, nicht Leitungswasser, erfolgt.

Wie bei jeder anderen Emulsionsgattung, die orthochromatische Sensibilisierungsstoffe enthält,
    neigt eine sehr frisch gegossene Emulsion zu einer gewissen Sensibilität gegenüber Kalk im Wasser.
    Das ist seit Jahrzehnten der Branche durchaus geläufig.

Vor allem hier und jetzt beim Tonal, der ja nun wirklich frisch ist.
    So it's comming from the very fresh emulsion.

Wie bei jeder anderen Emulsionsgattung, die orthochromatische Sensibilisierungsstoffe enthält,
    neigt eine sehr frisch gegossene Emulsion zu einer gewissen Sensibilität gegenüber Kalk im Wasser.
    It is the (orthochromatic) sensitizer in fresh emulsion extra sensitive for calcium and materials (e.g. iron) in the tap water.
    Last edited by RobertV; 06-09-2010 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: error in translation

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert,

Schroeder had it about Calcium, not Calgon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Robert,

Schroeder had it about Calcium, not Calgon.
    thx, fixed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I think I like this film

Robert was kind enough to send me three Retro 100 Tonal 135 films that he is also selling in his shop now (also in 120). Thanks a lot!

I tried one in my Contax G1 with the 28mm and a light yellow filter; the sky was heavily overcast. Unaware of the no-go of Rodinal and tap water I did indeed get spots all over.

Ignoring the spots and judging from scans and naked eye inspection, I find this a very nice film: excellent tonality and sharpness (in Rodinal 1+25), nice grain (reminiscent of APX100, to me at least).
    I also like the film's flatness, both longitudinally and across the width, and its transparency- it has a very clear base.

My film (this is 135, not 120) had a light leak into the first frame. Apparently the little black 'cloth' that seals off the cassette wasn't tight enough. I did not keep the cassette in bright sunlight, so this is a bit disconcerting. The darkroom was pitch-dark during loading, certainly no problem there. Maybe this is an isolated problem with this one film.

I am curious after the 120 version. Having some doubts also. Rodinal being my primary and most-loved developer I won't like having to use demi-water all the time; it's expensive (1 euro/litre in Holland) and fussy.
    Also, I don't like the slightest risk of light leaks because of backing paper being not tight enough. I know this is 100% pilot error, but I am not always a good pilot and mistakes we all make now and then. Rather no risks there.

I'll probably get some from Robert though. If only to have tried ;-)

Some samples from today (Contax G1, 28mm, yellow filter, Rodinal 1+25, 8 minutes at 20 deg. C, inversion 1st 30s continuous, then two inversions at the start of each minute).

This is not a scientific test of sharpness or grain or whatever, just sharing impressions. Overall, I like this film.

[Samples attached in the next post. For some reason my links to the images don't work.]
    Last edited by sandermarijn; 06-09-2010 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: pics don't show up

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some samples and an unsharpened crop with the *avoidable* white spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_001_small.jpg   retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_003_small.jpg   retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_004_small.jpg   retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_005_small.jpg   retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_006_small.jpg  

retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_007_small.jpg   retro_tonal_rodinal125_100609_007_crop.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I won't like having to use demi-water all the time;
    You have a lot of different water:

R.O. water, reverse osmose (made by an-kation and UV light equipment)
    Demi water, simple an-kation filter (Britta)
    Destilled water (via a destillation column)

You can also make your photo water yourself: Cook it for three minutes put the film carbonates away and let it cool down. In 90% enough for photo water. Less carbonates and almost no oxygen left.
    When you are using a Britta (TM) filter it's even much, much better, no iron, magnesium etc.

You can also use this: Ultra pure water
    Last edited by RobertV; 06-29-2010 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Diese sind erfahrungsgemäss weitestgehend zu vermeiden,
    wenn die Entwickler mit Ansatzwasser/dest. Wasser angesetzt werden - wenn eine evtl. Vorwässerung
    ebenfalls mit einem Doseninhalt dest. Wasser, nicht Leitungswasser, erfolgt."

Now that I think about it, this will be almost impossible or very annoying and expensive at the very least.

I always pre-wash the developing tank with film inside, in order to temper it. This is almost always necessary, as the temperature in my upstairs darkroom is only in the 19-21 deg C range for maybe two months a year. In summer it's generally too hot (25-30), in winter too cold (13-16).

But if -in the case of Rodinal- I have to temper the tank with distilled/demi water then I will have to bring this distilled water to 20 deg C first. That's time-consuming.

Also, this means having to use 2x 600ml of demi water for one 120 film. That's more than a euro per film. Of course I could re-use the tempering water, but still not very cheap as I only use one-shot developers.

I will have to give this some thought before continuing with Retro Tonal.

People inside Holland (Dutch people that is), is there a place to get demi water cheaper than around 1 euro/litre? That's what the DIY-stores charge for their 'accu-water'. Larger canisters anywhere, maybe?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    You can also use this: Ultra pure water
    I'll ask the guys at Gamma for one of those.

Seriously, where do Dutch amateurs like me get their demi-water for little?

I know that the cost of demi-water is only a small part of the bigger picture (film, camera, paper, chemicals, hardware, etc), but still, I don't like paying what seems like too much.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin