Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JandC 400 film.

Shooter
    Large Format

JandC 400 film.

Well, the planets aligned correctly, the photo gods were in a good mood and Murphy was out sick so I finally got my two 12x20 envelopes of film without one being ruined by UPS ( I guess they finally got tired of throwing away money). So I am thinking of given JandC a shot and see what their films do. Nothing wrong with the Photowarehouse film or service, I am just thinking that those 2 extra stops in film speed can come in very handy.

So the question is, of those who have used it, how able is the film to take expansion, how was the tonality, etc, etc?. I specially would like to hear from people doing alternative or azo printing.

Thanks all,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jorge, there's a good discussion on the Azo forum (Film category) about J&C 400. Sandy King has done some testing on it using Pyrocat HD. So far, everyone I've seen writing about says its a winner.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Jorge, there's a good discussion on the Azo forum (Film category) about J&C 400. Sandy King has done some testing on it using Pyrocat HD. So far, everyone I've seen writing about says its a winner.
    Ah, see.....senility is setting in, I forgot about this thread and must have read it 20 times...thanks Alex!

Shooter
    8x10 Format

J&C 400

Jorge,

I was planning to order some J&C 400 and checked the J&C site earlier today. The J&C 400 is out of stock. I sent them an email asking when they would be in stock again but haven't recieved a reply yet.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Mike, but I am in the planning stages right now, my next order should be in a couple of months. Having read Sandy's review as suggested by Alex it seems that it is a winner. I am thinking maybe with a 10% solution of NaOH instead of the carbonate I can squeeze a 10.5 SBR, which is about as good as I am getting with the PW film but I got the extra two stops!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Ah, see.....senility is setting in, I forgot about this thread and must have read it 20 times...thanks Alex!
    One of the interesting things I found in testing JandC 400 out was that you can get a higher CI with extreme minimal or semi-stand agitation than with constant agitation. For example, using the 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD the CI maxed out at about 0.90 at 17 minutes of development with rotary agitation, whereas with extreme minimal agitation (1:1:150 dilution) the film reached a maximum CI of sligthly over 1.05. But, it also built up quite a bit more general stain with the semi-stand method.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    One of the interesting things I found in testing JandC 400 out was that you can get a higher CI with extreme minimal or semi-stand agitation than with constant agitation. For example, using the 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD the CI maxed out at about 0.90 at 17 minutes of development with rotary agitation, whereas with extreme minimal agitation (1:1:150 dilution) the film reached a maximum CI of sligthly over 1.05. But, it also built up quite a bit more general stain with the semi-stand method.

Sandy King
    Thanks Sandy, I just checked my curves and a CI of .9 is plenty enough for me. I dont have tubes large enough to do semi stand and frankly I am too impatient to sit around for 45 min waiting...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    JC 400 is my choice for a 400 to partner Efke PL100. When using AZO I find that it matches better with Grade 3 and has a hard time looking good on Grade 2 (unlike Efke). I would avoid scenes of less than SBR 7 with this film if possible. Should work nicely with scenes up to SBR 10/11.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I found the old version to lack sufficient Dmax for good results on Azo, but the new version is much improved. I've tested it with Acufine and PMK for enlarging purposes and next I'll test in ABC pyro targeting for Azo. Here are some scans of the test shots directly from the negs to give a vague idea of what the tonality is like. The Acufine scans are from a better scanner.

Acufine, EI 640 (from 6x6 negs, some cropping):

PMK, EI 250 (from 6x7 neg, full frame):

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks David and Francesco, dont know I am starting to think this might not be the film for me. The PW is a good overall film, good expansion, good contraction. I guess I will give it a shot and do some tests....after all cloudy or overcast days here are rare...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin