Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,271   Online: 869

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film Reels

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not yet discussed

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Spanish "AP" brand plastic reels. These are identical to the Patterson reels, except they have the added benefit of what I refer to as "on ramps". These are the flat guided feeds where you load the film, and wow, does it ever make loading 120 a total breeze. While the AP tanks are well designed (with a very tight screw down lid), I still prefer the Patterson tanks.

Anyone else?
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made the decision to go plastic when I was first starting out. I've been given a few old SS reels by people over time, but never been tempted to try them again. The Paterson reels are very easy to use for me so I don't see any reason to switch. My original quandry was the difference between those great smooth Paterson reels and cheap imitators.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Paterson reels are okay, if you don't have much film to develop. They are easy to load when dry. I occasionally had agitation problems with them (usually streaking around the sprockets), but that probably could be eliminated with a different agitation scheme.

If you're processing a lot of film on a regular basis, SS becomes more attractive. I've been using SS reels for years and as long as I'm processing rollfilm regularly, I don't have misfeeds, and they load more quickly than plastic reels once you get the hang of it, and they don't need to be absolutely dry. Hewes reels are the best reels made today. I don't know why, but they are easier to load than cheap reels. I like my older Kinderman reels as well.

Another attraction of SS reels is that SS tanks are more or less indestructible and are really cheap on the used market, so it's not too costly to own several for different sized batches. I have tanks for 1, 2, 5, 8, and 12 35mm reels or half as many 120/220 reels. Old SS tanks missing their lids are *really* cheap, and a new plastic lid can be purchased for a few bucks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I started out in 35mm with cheap no-name SS reels- big mistake, impossible to load correctly.

I now have Hewes reels- they are easy and very thick and sturdy- impossible to bend.

So there is no point in debating SS vs plastic reels, there are 3 distinct types, cheap SS, plastic, and Hewes!

Matt

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Spanish "AP" brand plastic reels. These are identical to the Patterson reels, except they have the added benefit of what I refer to as "on ramps". These are the flat guided feeds where you load the film, and wow, does it ever make loading 120 a total breeze. While the AP tanks are well designed (with a very tight screw down lid), I still prefer the Patterson tanks.

Anyone else?
    Paddy,
    Who sells them? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to hear about those AP reels too. I doubt I'll stray from Paterson, but I did notice last night that those curly end of my 120 film are pretty tricky to get started. I guess with practice though, they'll be as easy as 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm

Film Reels

Well just call me inept! Yesterday, since many here extolled the features of the Paterson Dev. Tank, I went to "Freestyle" in Hollywood and purchased a "Universal Dev. Tank". With pounding heart I rushed home (I was driving my Cobra replica so when I say I rushed, I mean "rushed") and removed it from its' packaging. As I held the tank and reel, I concluded that this was a quality product. As I tried to expand the reel to 120 size, the sides did not budge. I tried and tried and tried again. No luck. So what to do?
    I have an old no name tank and reel (which I suspect was made by "Yankee") and the reel adjusts easily. Thx for any suggestions,
    Howard Tanger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard R. Tanger
    Well just call me inept! Yesterday, since many here extolled the features of the Paterson Dev. Tank, I went to "Freestyle" in Hollywood and purchased a "Universal Dev. Tank". With pounding heart I rushed home (I was driving my Cobra replica so when I say I rushed, I mean "rushed") and removed it from its' packaging. As I held the tank and reel, I concluded that this was a quality product. As I tried to expand the reel to 120 size, the sides did not budge. I tried and tried and tried again. No luck. So what to do?
    I have an old no name tank and reel (which I suspect was made by "Yankee") and the reel adjusts easily. Thx for any suggestions,
    Howard Tanger
    Hold one side of the reel in your left-hand. Twist the otherside anti-clockwise to unlock it, then pull apart to the 120 width. Finally re-twist to lock at the new width.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Adorama brand reels as sold in this kit:

http://www.adorama.com/DKTPU.html

It's a bit tough to make out from the photo, but the reel on the right shows the huge, ovesized guides for loading that make them absolutely idiot proof. They also have a much smoother adjustment and loading action than the Patersons I have.

As for SS, I once tried them after being shamed by a "real men don't use plastic" rant on Pnet. Now they're sitting in the back of a kitchen drawer, waiting to mash potatoes or whip eggs or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    I use the Adorama brand reels as sold in this kit:

http://www.adorama.com/DKTPU.html

It's a bit tough to make out from the photo, but the reel on the right shows the huge, ovesized guides for loading that make them absolutely idiot proof. They also have a much smoother adjustment and loading action than the Patersons I have.

As for SS, I once tried them after being shamed by a "real men don't use plastic" rant on Pnet. Now they're sitting in the back of a kitchen drawer, waiting to mash potatoes or whip eggs or something.

The tank/reels shown in the link, are the Spanish AP brand reels that I was talking about. They're also distributed by Freestyle.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin