Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Reels

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Reels

I was developing some 35mm film last night, and after running three rolls through a Patterson tank and reels I bought off Ebay, I decided to use my old no-name brand double reel tank rather than dry the Patterson reels. It didn't take me long to remember why I bought the used Patterson reels.

Does anyone else notice that the plastic used for those Patterson reels is just so much smoother and easier to feed? I was just curious.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    35mm steel reels have been the bane of my existance lately.
    Ive managed to ruin at least 4 frames per roll of every single HP5 roll lately.
    all because of misfeeding them on the steel reels. so frustrating.
    I love my 35mm Canon and the convenience of it.... but loading those reels frustrates me to no end.
    On to plastic reels for me.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    guys,
    the thing you need to do is start with new reels. bent reels will NEVER load correctly everytime. take cassette of film that is ruined or donated or better yet a leader of bulk film and practice in the light until you can do it right everytime. then close your eyes and do it then behind your back. Then turn off the lights. It really ain't that hard. Just don't drop them and wash them well after you use them. You can load them wet so it helps to use them if you have a lot of film to process.

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I find the steel reels fairly easy to load. But they cannot be bent. I have 4 reels and one of them is bent so I never use it. I find if have to bend the very end of the roll outward for I find the natural curl touches the film on a negative 4 or so images from the end and sometimes causes an undeveloped spot. I never curse more than when I am in a dark place struggling to load film on a reel thinking the film will be ruined.

I have to admit I use Jobo plastic reels, and never have problems. Other than weird gummy edges on R25. If they cause problems it's likely because they have cracks or other damage, or aren't dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I can't say one way or the other, but have always used SS reels and would not trade for them. Sure they are a pain when I get in a hurry or don't pay attention to the way the film goes on. Have a couple of Hewes (think that's how it is spelled) for 120 and love them. As Lee says, pratice with the lights on, learn to 'feel' the film and it really is easy and clean up is a snap...just air dry.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of all the reels I've used regularly (Paterson, Jobo plastic; Kindermann, Soligor, Hewes SS), the Hewes SS reels stand out as being the easiest and fastest to load. The 35 mm reels stand out because the way the film sprockets are hooked to the core means that initial misalignment is virtually impossible. There are now Hewes reels that are a direct replacement for the Jobo 1500 series.

Best, Helen

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For me SS reels are a NO NO.

Once thay are distorted by dropping or packing they will never load smoothly again. Whereas plastic can be dropped or mistreated and will spring back to the original.

I have used most makes over the years and find the JOBO, Patterson and Rodinnax the best, of course they are good quality plastic.

But I have to say, the SS reels look professional!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    I was developing some 35mm film last night, and after running three rolls through a Patterson tank and reels I bought off Ebay, I decided to use my old no-name brand double reel tank rather than dry the Patterson reels. It didn't take me long to remember why I bought the used Patterson reels.

Does anyone else notice that the plastic used for those Patterson reels is just so much smoother and easier to feed? I was just curious.
    Using S.Steel reels is no more than having practice with them. Practice makes Master!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are there any advantages to SS reels except that you can load them wet. I use Paterson tanks and plastic reels exclusively and think they are very easy to load with 35 mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin