Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,082   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

T-Max 400 in Xtol (stock) my pics. attached

Hi there. Used T-Max 400 for the first time recently combined with Xtol and wanted to get feedback on these images.

So, do these shots show the characteristics of the film; of the developer; of the metering etc. etc. This is important to me as I'm going to embark on a long-term project to photograph these creatures. perhaps even suggestion on changing developer or what have you, dunno.

Shots metered at 400asa as am purposely choosing flat lighting for a common 'visual' theme. Shot with Hasselblad 2000 FC/M handheld with 150mm and 250mm C lenses and metered with Gossen Mastersix.

Just paid up APUG membership by the way so I'm allowed to post images right?

Last edited by sperera; 06-04-2010 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They look fantastic. The toe of a T-max HD curve is higher than most competitors (more so with T-max developer) This translates into better grays (in my personal opinion). I see a fantastic tonal range in your posted pictures. I'd not change things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Echoing ic-racer.

XTOL and TMY2 are a superb combination, and the more you shoot (with a little judicious experimentation,
    using the Kodak XTOL data as a guide) you can get great negs in any condition.

Just keep us posted on your progress !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you very much this is exactly the kind of informed comments I'm after since I'm new to T-Max 400.
    To me this film is grainy, but very fine grained....kind of like describing a person with very fine hair but a lot of it if you know what I mean.
    The way I'm shooting for this 'visual theme' I'm after really tests the film and developer combination doesn't it as I need outstanding tonal range....if not the image dies....I'm shooting directly against the sun a lot of the time to make matters worse for myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    They look fantastic. The toe of a T-max HD curve is higher than most competitors (more so with T-max developer) This translates into better grays (in my personal opinion). I see a fantastic tonal range in your posted pictures. I'd not change things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you very much....yes, there's something special about T-Max 400 and now Im beginning to see what all the fuss is about when people so love it and are so ready to express their love for it....for me, in these early days it has a je ne sais quoi about it....and dare I say it (hussed tones) it sc*ns really well to.
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Echoing ic-racer.

XTOL and TMY2 are a superb combination, and the more you shoot (with a little judicious experimentation,
    using the Kodak XTOL data as a guide) you can get great negs in any condition.

Just keep us posted on your progress !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some more:

Last edited by sperera; 06-04-2010 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK posted some more and edited the first batch, scroll back please as the first post now has different images.....thanks guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the other responses. TMAX 400 has a steeper toe than some other films, which helps maintain good contrast and "life" in the darker tonalities. And that property is evident in the posted examples. They look good to me. Don't change anything. Just keep working with this combination and get to know it well.

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I agree with the other responses. TMAX 400 has a steeper toe than some other films, which helps maintain good contrast and "life" in the darker tonalities. And that property is evident in the posted examples. They look good to me. Don't change anything. Just keep working with this combination and get to know it well.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great to me!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin