Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,957   Posts: 1,522,972   Online: 1169

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Talk to your local hardware supplier. There are a number of low voltage lighting controls on the market. There a even "pneumatic" controls available for hot tubs and for use around the swimming pools. Also, you can put your foot or knee switch in a water resitant electrical box if you want. One last thing... electrical codes often state that you should install ground fault interrupters in areas you may have spillage -- very simple to install in a receptical and relativly cheap. Again, the electrical department in a good hardware store will be able to suggest many inexpensive solutions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact the folks at linemaster.com. They're the ones that make the treadlite switch that I use. They make all kinds of switches, including waterproof ones. They can help you find just what you want. Their switches are not that expensive either.

The switches with the phono jack I'm not so sure of. The treadlite that I bought had a 6' (I think) insulated cord with 3 wires. It's rated 7amps, which is plenty for a safelight. Make sure you get a momentary switch; press-on, release-off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, fortune smiled today.

I went into one of the local brick and mortar photo shops (Warehouse Photographic in Dallas) and while I was agonizing about whether to get the 11x14 adjustable easel I wanted or a 20x24 easel that I didn't want but would make things easier for some 11x17s a customer is saying they want, I found myself staring at a linemaster treadlite switch on their used darkroom table. Price: one dollar.

Here's a listing for the same model someone is selling on eBay.

So as soon as I get this rewired to do 110vac, I think I'll be in business. It's got a two-prong plug for some enlarger timer on it. I'll bag it up for now, then when I get around to switching from three to five outlets on the wall, I'll also switch to GFI.

As an aside to the North Texas folks: Warehouse photographic is cutting it's size and staff 50%, and doing most of its equipment sales on eBay. I talked to the woman who found me a used green safelight, and she's one of the ones getting cut. Another digital casualty, I guess.

This isn't really germane to the thread, but I wonder what would be involved in just moving GFI to the breaker box. Is there a way to make everything on a given circuit GFI?

-KwM-

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can replace the breaker in your breaker panel with a GFI type very easily. Two things: 1. Turn OFF the main breaker before removing the panel cover -- If you're not comfortable installing it, get some professional assistance. 2. Make sure you get the brand name of your breaker box and type before you purchase the GFI breaker -- i.e. Square D, GE, ITE, etc.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin