Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,460   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square One.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Square One.

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black] The 1st time I went to get one of my 35mm films developed at the local shop, I made enquiries about B&W film and developing costs. It turns out that now colour is the more prevelant format used, B&W developing is more expensive.(Plus as I live in a small town,the roll would have to be sent away for developement) [/color][/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black] I have got round this so far by shooting on C41 film, but it lacks the definition and tone that I want, and depending on where you get the shots developed, can have a coloured hue to the results.:o [/color][/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]I'll be sending off my B&W films in the future to an online service to get them developed, but this is an imperfect solution.[/color][/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]As I am on a very limited budget, I think it would be more cost effective in the long run to set up a basic B&W darkroom at home, but am clueless about where to start![/color][/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]Please can anyone suggest an online site that explains everything an idiot (er....that would be me!) ~would need to know?? The equipment required....and the process itself![/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]Basically everything! [/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]Thank You![/size][/font]
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]Richard[/size][/font]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try this http://www.photogs.com/bwworld/bwfilmdev.html

BTW it's really easy. Esp. if you have a 'daylight' developer tank like a Patterson(Sp?). And it's cost effective too. Look around for 2nd hand gear, normally works fine. good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You'll still need to print -- though secondhand scanners are cheap and plentiful these days too. As are enlargers.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was developing films in my kitchen using a changing bag and a patterson tank for several weeks before getting my darkroom up and running. It is a very easy thing to do. I then scanned my negs into my computer. Of course, now i have a darkroom i wouldn't dream of performing any sordid digital acts on my celluloid these days
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the links guys!
    Guess what I'll be buying on ebay soon?
    I've also been on the hunt for a neg scanner for ages, but like I said before, I'm on a tight budget so I need to be a little lucky too! I'll keep an eye out for an enlarger too now!
    Your help and advice is much appeciated, thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Develop your film at home and then take your film to a photolab for prints - It is very easy and inexpensive to do this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ebay is a great place to pick up inexpensive darkroom equipment. I have acquired a complete darkroom set up that way. People are going digital and the stuff can be picked up for a song. I picked up a dry mount press that sells for $800 new for $150 and the shipping was only about $35. My enlarger was sent from California to New York and arrived in perfect condition. Don't worry about shipping. The best deals can be had by buying complete set ups. I decided to pick and choose what I wanted and payed a little more. Still much less than buying from a retail store, even used.

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Beware of dust

I think you should try and use a bathroom for the developing.
    mainly to reduce the dust as its a problem.
    The other ways are to have a clean set of darkroom clothing that should be made of cotton or nondusty/hairy matter.
    The purchase of an ioniser can be helpful.
    as too cleaning the room the day b4 and in morning moping the floor to reduce the dust.
    The access to hot and cold water is useful as is drainage.
    drying the film in the shower will assist in reduction of dust but a film drying cabnet is a extra that can be useful.

Water purity can be an issue filtration can help this as alternatly
    purchasing mineral water.

Also the papers are expensive so a scanner is a better budget choice.though archival options are lesser.

Measuring jugs can be bought secondhand really cheaply as too the
    funnel and storage bottles.
    marbles can be added to some bottles to reduce the air degradation.
    Squeezy ones are the best but they cost sooo much.

also needed

thermoter ...get a good one dont scrimp
    scissors
    film extractor
    daylight tank
    changebag or thick cotton blankets
    Film hanging wieghts or paper clamps
    Funnel for keeping the chemicals
    storage bottles for chemicals (store in a fridge under lock and key)
    ((ad marbles to normal opage ones to reduce the oxidization))
    jugs at least 3 of 2 litre jugs with 100 mls increments on them.
    smaller jug with smaller mls increments
    a timer with coundown function.it needs to measure seconds and at least two minutes.
    A Toothbrush for cleaning the spools.
    Stirrer if you buy the powdered chems.
    The chemicals Id choose the powdered variety.
    or maybe liquid rodinal developer.
    larger storage vessels for mixing the bulk powder.

Cheap books are readly available second hand
    for as little as $5. second hand. the info may be old but its usually a good starting point.

Images
    I have always processed my roll film out side of a darkroom. Day light tanks are great. I avoid patterson because of the three I have owned all leaked chemistry. Yankee is not as leaky. If you process you not only save money but have control. As for budget I would say setting up a darkroom-if you have room- would be the best way to go. paper is not super expensive unless you do not exercise control in the darkroom. This is where controling your negative will be vry beneficial. A good well exposed and properly developed negative will print on much less paper than one that is too thin or too dense.

Good luck. If you have room for a darkroom, I am envious.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin