Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,408   Online: 687

35mm HP5+ and Pyrocat Hd

Can any one give me some basic starting recommendations for processing HP5+ in Pyrocat Hd? I will be using stainless steal reels in stainless steel tanks and agitating by hand. I am looking for a good basic starting point.

While I'm here does anyone have anything to say about this combination of film and developer? Is it possible that the pyrocat could cause to much grain with a high speed film and such a small negative size. I assume the grain will be Rodinal like or less.

Does anyone have anything to contribute about Rodinal versus Pyrocat Hd for small format negatives that will be printed on variable contrast paper?

Thanks much in advance

Greg

Images
    I don't think you will be sorry. Just don't overexpose drastically. HP5+ in 35 mm has an irremovable base density of about 0.2 which makes it look foggier than it is. That is dye, not silver. Grain should be less than Rodinal. The proportional dye image is a bit paradoxical. It spreads enough to produce less granularity in the print than you would expect from looking at the negative, but sharpness is very good. Contrast will be higher on grade 2 paper than on VC without filter.
    Gadget Gainer

Greg,
    I have used 35mm HP5+ with Pyrocat HD recently. Films were exposed in sunny conditions. What worked best for me was rating the film at 400, and developing in 2+2+100 pyrocat for 10 minutes at 20 degrees C. I agitate for the first 30 seconds then give one slow inversion every 30 seconds. This gave nice easily to print negatives.
    That said, HP5 is not my favourite 400 speed film. I can't get real highlights with it, in pyrocat,divided D 23 nor ID 11 1+1. I've been using it alongside Tri-x and fomapan 400recently, and in my opinion these films beat it hands down both for highlights and general overall contrast and punch. I find the fomapan outstanding. It has become my favourite 35mm film. It is slightly more grainy than Tri x and HP5, but I like grain.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alan, which paper have you been testing HP5+ with? The reason for my asking is that some VC papers seem to produce dull highlights, perhaps because they are designed to be used with films that are inherently contrastier, such as "new" type emulsions.

And for those films that you do like, which developer(s) have you been using?

John,
    I use Jessops VC for most of my test/work prints.
    Regarding developers, for Tri-x I've used divided D23, ID11 1+1 and Rodinal. I liked Rodinal best before I started to use Pyrocat HD.
    I have only recently discovered Fomapan 400, and develop it in Pyrocat HD. For my taste this is a superb combination for what I use it for - grainy atmospheric heavily printed landscapes. Fomapan 400 has what is best described as "character".
    I must stress that these are only my subjective opinions, based on my own personal taste, and what I am trying to achieve.
    Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan,
    Looks like you found a combination that works best for you. A lot of people search for years for this.
    I would be interested in seeing the results of this combo. When you get some good photos, please post.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin