Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,852   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Intensifying negatives with Selenium toner

I'm finally going to try this on some reject 35mm negatives. Anyone have any experience doing this with 35mm? As a starting point I was going to follow AA's recommendation but it's kind of vague and probably optimized for sheet film. He suggests Kodak Rapid Selenium diluted 1+2 with working strength washaid for 5-10 minutes. Pretty big range.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    1+2 or 1+3 is usual. Do them in strips in a white tray -- that way you can see the intensification. Generally, one tones them until one sees nothing else happening -- it is hard to "over-do it" as the toning continues until there is no more silver available for the selenium to act on. One can get about a grade of contrast more, depending on the film and its exposure/development. Toning will not put information on the neg where there is none (due to under-exposure of the film).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When toned and washed unbend Paper clips to hang the strips from to dry

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Done it a LOT.... I always re-fix the negs after toning them .... worked for Ansel and Al Weber for a few years way way back and they did/do this... in case there is any silver bromide left on the negs and it can be done more than once!

Logan

You can get one grade contrast more with selenium.

With Victor`s Intensifier you can get 3/4 grades and wipe it back off with fix. It has mercury something in the formula and is hardardous, so keep your fingers out. Formula on internet somewhere, chems from ArtCraft. You supply scale for mix. When all else failed, that was my last resort and it never failed.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it's necessary to refix negatives. Selenium doesn't rehalogenate silver to the best of my knowledge. I don't refix prints after toning in selenium so I don't see why negatives would be any different.

However, I do make sure that my negatives are absolutely fixed and washed before toning in Selenium. I think this is definitely more important.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I believe Kodak RST already had hypo in it...or some type of fixer -- which is why it might smell of ammonia.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has Ammounium Thiosulphate in it so there's no need to re-fix, as it's a pure metal ion substitution Selenium for Silver there's no Bromides or Chlorides present they were all removed in the original fixing step.

Clayne's point is more important about proper fixing and I suspect Logan's forgotten that Ansel Adams used a plain Hypo fixer before Selenium toning not after to make sure there was no staining etc from any quasi-soluble silver-thiosulphate intermediary compounds left in paper.

In addition the KRST is being used at a stronger than normal dilution for intensifying so any effects of the Ammonium Thiosulphate will be far greater, ie it's fixing action..

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    Large Format
    makes the neg a bit grainier and will really make your highlights jump out at ya. also great for salt printing .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin