Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,387   Online: 1092

Shooter
    Large Format

Special order of 5x7 T-Max 400 film from Kodak

I have organized a group of photographers in the U.S. to make a special order of Kodak T-Max 400 film in 5x7 sheets. Kodak will produce any of their films in any size with a minimum order of 3,000 sheets. However, there is a more substantial price break if you can order 6,000 sheets. I currently have 14 photographers committed to ordering a total of approximately 4,000 sheets. We are looking for others to participate and bring our total up to 6,000 sheets or more.

Photo Mark, a large format photographic dealer in Tempe, AZ, will handle the payment and shipping for each person’s share of the order separately. A fifty percent deposit will be required. The film will be delivered in 4-6 weeks from the time we place the order. I participated in a similar order with Photo Mark in 2002 and everything went very smoothly.

Kodak has recently re-vamped T-MAX 400, improving its grain and sharpness. According to John Sexton, who has tested the new film extensively, it is virtually identical to the old version in every other way. He is very impressed with the improvement in grain and says that the enlargement quality is now close to that of T-MAX 100. To hear an audio interview with John discussing the new film go to:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../tMax400.jhtml

I favor T-Max 400 over any other B&W emulsion for my 5x7 work because I shoot a lot of portraits and interiors. For the portraits I need a faster shutter speed and also appreciate that fact that the grain is much finer than Tri-X. For interiors, however, it is really indispensable because of its much lower reciprocity failure compared to old-style BW films. I am able to capture low-light interiors with 15-20 minute exposures that would not be practical with Tri-X, due to the reciprocity compensation required. The same goes for nocturnal exteriors.

For examples of what I am talking about, see my website: www.joelpickford.com and look especially at the Le Monde Créole project, which was shot entirely on 5x7 T-Max 400 film.

If you are interested in getting some of this special order 5x7 film, please email me directly: joelpickford@yahoo.com

I am saving all of the emails in a special folder and will let everyone know when all the details of the order are confirmed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in if I can afford some. How much?????? By conventional sheet film pricing standards, it should be about twice the price of the 4x5 (and half the price of the 8x10). That is about $2.25 per sheet. If that is pretty close to the price, I would like to sign up for 250 sheets.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-18-2010 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle Photo has Tri-X in 5x7 for $120 per 50 sheets as a regular stock item. That is $2.40 per sheet. I would expect Kodak to charge at least as much for special order TMY.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, what is the price for the T-Max 400??? It would seem to be the most important detail, yet it was not included in the original post. I am not going to e-mail until you post the prices for all to see. If not, I am fine with Tri-X and HP5.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-19-2010 at 10:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin