Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,533   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I may be speaking out of another orphis than my mouth, I seem to remember that Amidol as a film developer really dumped shadow detail. Is this true?

lee\c

Images
    No, you just looked outside the box. There are all kinds of marvelous things out there.

It ocurred to me, and probably to you, that it would be a convenience to be able to keep amidol in a glycol solution and the rest in water, mixing just enough at a time to do a sheet of film or paper in a tube.

The amount of sulfite may give some control over the color. You may not need the citric acid. Anyway, you have enough variables to keep you busy for a while.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    I meant to address that last post to Tom, who wondered if he had stepped on a slippery slope.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    No, you just looked outside the box. There are all kinds of marvelous things out there.

It ocurred to me, and probably to you, that it would be a convenience to be able to keep amidol in a glycol solution and the rest in water, mixing just enough at a time to do a sheet of film or paper in a tube.

The amount of sulfite may give some control over the color. You may not need the citric acid. Anyway, you have enough variables to keep you busy for a while.
    Yes Pat, I have the Amidol as a PG stock concentrate and everything else as a water based stock concentrate.

I'm a little surprised that I am seeing stain with 30 grams/liter of sulfite.

I have been thinking about trying a TEA option for the "B" bath. Any advice?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone for amidol + phenidone?

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    Here's an article on Amidol as a film developer.

http://simmonsphotos.com/Articles/AmidolFilm.html

juan
    Thanks much, Juan! I'll add it to my collection.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I did try Amidol as a water bath developer back in the 70's~~

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gle...&.dnm=10f0.jpg

I made the mistake of not developing it long enough. I was following Ansel's instructions in "The Negative" (1968;pg. 117-118).
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    Anyone for amidol + phenidone?

Jorge O
    Easy enough to try - so why not?

Another possibility is amidol + ascorbic acid and maybe some TEA to get the pH back into the neutral to slightly alkaline range??
    Tom Hoskinson

Images
    I haven't played much with amidol. It is potent enough to be used in acidic solutions. You might or might not gain by adding TEA, but first I would start from nothing but some sulfite. I think the citric acid is mostly for preservation, but it naturally reduces pH somewhat. Rather than leave it in and add TEA or other alkali, I would go with the simplest solution for starters and see what has to be added to make it better. In philosophy there is the principle of Occam's (sp?) razor that says the simplest theory that works is the best. Shave it down and let it grow if necessary.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    In philosophy there is the principle of Occam's (sp?) razor that says the simplest theory that works is the best. Shave it down and let it grow if necessary.
    Ah yes! William of Occam. I have recommend the use of his razor to a lot of people over the years. Most stare blankly at me and say - What?

It's probably because I have a beard... Started growing it in 1969 - it was black then (white now).

My understanding is that addition of a bit of citric acid to the working developer was the empirical result of a lot of experimentation by Michael Smith - confirmed by others.

Amidol is known to work well as a developer in a slightly acid pH environment.

There is an indication that Pat Dignan favored Ascorbic acid over Citric with amidol. I haven't been able to verify this yet and I have most of the Dignan notes.
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin