Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,476   Online: 802

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Drying 8x10 Negatives

I'm finally going to take the 8x10 out tomorrow and was wondering how most of you dry your 8x10 negatives.

I have a JOBO dryer for my 4x5 and roll film, but I think that I would only be able to fit 2 or 3 8x10's in it at one time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    After I wash the negatives they go to a Wetting Agent soak for about 1 min. I hang them on a line with a film clip and by the following morning (I typically finish processing around 2 am) they are perfectly dry. No marks, nothing.
    Francesco

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hang them up by one corner using a clip or clothes pin and leave the room. Do not touch or squeegee just leave them be until the next day.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get some heavy string and film clips. Measure out the area in your bathroom around the shower/bathtub and calculate how long you want the string to be. hang the string with clips then process your film. When film is in the wash stage, steam up the bathroom and turn off the hot water. Hang your film and leave it with the door closed for a few hours. It should dry nicely with hopefully no dust.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do the same as Francesco. Wash following your normal procedure, treat one minute in Agfa Sistan, and hang to dry on a line with clothespins.

Ansel trick: remove the two wooden halves of the clothespin from the spring and turn them around so that the handle end becomes the clip end and the clip end becomes the handle, minimizing the surface of the clip that contacts the negative.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ive found medium sized binder clips to work suprisingly well for my 4x5 negs.
    Im assuming theyd work well for 8x10 at well. usually Im able to keep the contact area in the black border of the negative relatively successfully.

hope that helps.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use my own ingenious film dryer:

Wit hsome other equipment I got a large number of very strong steel clips, with a gripping edge about 7cm (3 in) long. I unwound a wire coathanger, slipped 12 of these on the wire, and rewound it.

The hanger then takes 12 4x5", or 6 5x7", or 4 8x10" without any danger of contact. The 4x5" ones I clip by a corner, the larger ones by the short side less than 1 mm from the edge.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Guys,

As always I appreciate the advice.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin