Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,482   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kentmere Art Classic - Contrast(s)

I recently bought a new packet of Kentmere Art Classic to try for the first time. Unfortunately have been really struggling with it. Admittedly I tend to like a fairly contrasty image, but on Grade V been getting flat uninspiring results with the paper. The blacks just aren't black .... maybe this is the intent and design of it's purpose(?)
    I wondering if anyone knows if it is normal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John

Art Classic is a single grade paper about 2 to 2.5 which is the reason for the flat prints if you would normally print the image on grade V. You need to produce a negative of higher contrast. You can increase the contrast of single graded paper in a number of ways but I am just leaving home for a few days on a photographic trip and have'nt got the time to describe them at present, will do when I return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, do you have access to a step wedge? If so, try a test exposure at your "normal" exposure and development time and see how it prints compared to your paper of choice. If you already have a test film which has worked for you, try printing on the new stock and see where zones I & VIII fall. This is the easiest way I know of sounding the depths of a new film-paper combination.

The Stouffer step wedge really is a wonderful tool to have in the darkroom. The information from just one exposure is fascinating to see on a print. I don't know of a simpler, better, more comprehensive test of any film and paper, without a densitometer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    ... Admittedly I tend to like a fairly contrasty image, but on Grade V been getting flat uninspiring results with the paper.
    this reads like you have been using it with contrast filters or settings? is that right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you very much for the responses. All filled in a gap for me.

Les, thanks for the enlightenment, this explains a great deal. Somehow I missed that labelling and made an assumption. I do normally vary my contrast filtering considerably, depending upon the neg and the look I'm after (quite right Leon). But I guess my tastes are often towards the higher contrast image. I think the image I chose to print on the Classic was not the correct choice, and my methods could stand to be adjusted to get the right result on this paper!

noiseoil I haven't tried the Stouffer step wedge, but sounds pretty interesting. Is it a filter of some kind? The neg I chose to print has a fairly high proportion of highlight as can be seen here http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...sort=4&cat=501 , the rock and foreground of which I did print at grade 4 1/2 to give the effect I wanted (actually too dense in this representation, but you might get the idea).

But as I mentioned, found it difficult to replicate on the Kentmere Classic.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin