Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,517   Online: 772

Thread: Garage Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Garage Darkroom

Hiya,

I used to have a darkroom in 2 garages. One time, I just draped black painters plastic to make a "room". Another time, I just did it at night with the doors closed.

This time, I want to make a "temporary" wall.

Would these be good enough:
    1x2 wood to make a frame from ceiling to floor
    1x2 wood in about 3 feet intervals
    1x2 wood in between the 3 feet
    then cover it up with the painter's plastic.

I don't need complete darkness. Just dark 'nuf do work at night time. One side will probably be open and that side is the opposite of the garage doors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric, the 1x2's will work, but you might consider a spacing of 2' on center. 3' is a long way to span as 1x2 material usually has knots and grain run-outs which will weaken longer runs. I don't see a problem with your idea. Quick, simple and cheap, I like it. Black plastic stapled on one side should do the trick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a good idea Eric. I agree with reducing the spacing to 2' on center. You could use dry wall screws to assemble and just unscrew everything with you have to remove it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool. Don't know much about the spacing but 2 feet in between sounds grand. I know have a couple of Nova verticals so my darkroom will be much, much smaller.
    Dang...I LOVE those nova verticals. Don't know how I ever worked without them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My darkroom is in my garage and I had a similar problem. I picked up some light blocking curtains on ebay. It was a year ago so I don't have the name of the seller but the seller was either the distributer or manufacturer and they sold on ebay from time to time. A google search might turn up the source. One of the nice thinks is that they are white (although they are completely opaque) so when I hang them they reflect light back into the DR area. Since they are curtains they have a space at the top for rods that work with those little clips at the end. So when I do darkroom work it only takes a few seconds to put them up. The clips stay on the walls. They come in all different sizes so I found some that go from the ceiling to about 1/2 inch above the ground. The cost was about $25 for a set that was about 8 feet tall and spanned about 8 feet. So I needed two sets to go completely across the garage. I have a smaller set in the back. But for me the beauty is that they come up or down in seconds.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My darkroom is in curtained-off area in garage. My wife made the curtain out of blackout clothe ( available at JoAnnes, etc where ever curtain material is sold). She sewed velcro on sides & used sticky type velcro for walls opposite. Put a board across top so don't get any light leaks above rod. Works great, even during daytime for my enlarger - dry area. Tried tubes for processing, but decided to do printing in evening or early morning in the wet area - remaining part of garage. Have a utility sink & built a cart for trays - shelves pull-out for staggering the trays.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you will find that 2x2s cost less than 1x2s. They are twice as stiff and they do not require any more space.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have created a complete (daylight safe) darkroom in my house using only the (white) blackout cloth from JoAnnes Fabrics, wood and staples- works great- total cost- about $75 ( I bought the entire roll)

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin