Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,329   Online: 788

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

NEW B&W iPhone App for Real Photographers !!

Hello Everybody:.

One of my buddies Lenny Eiger just finished a killer app for the iPhone that I think all B&W photographers are going to dig !!

It's called PhotoToolsPro, and it has a bunch of features that just about every APUG user will need.

PhotoToolsPro has a very extensive note-taker feature that allows you to create a record of your photos, organizing them by trips and photo sessions. You can enter the details of your cameras, lenses and film, while creating defaults for everything from favorite film for this camera to preferred f-stop for that lens. This makes entering data on a photo page very easy.

On a photo page you can specify your holder and side, or a negative number. Of course it takes your GPS location automatically. You then specify your exposure - either manually, or you can put in your Zone 3 and Zone 7 readings - and it DOES THE ZONE SYSTEM CALCULATIONS FOR YOU! Can you modify them? Absolutely. Corrections for Reciprocity, Bellows Extension and Filter Factor or Filter stops? Of course!

Once you've done that you may want to take a picture of what you are doing; so you snap a pic with the camera and, well, you find that it's not really what you were shooting. So why not rotate it and crop it to match your photo exactly? Then you can add a note - with text or a voice recording.

How about a vibration sensor that could alert the photographer if the camera was moving - from a little too much wind, vibrations from trains and trucks; whatever. The iPhone is a perfect device for it because of its built-in accelerometer. You simply place the iPhone onto the bed of the camera, press 'start', and it will trigger an alarm if things are moving too much. The sensitivity is 100% configurable. This is a very cool feature.

It also has a level for the LF shooters. Want to make sure the back and front standards are at the exact same angle? No problem. Want to check to see just how much forward tilt you are adding? You got it - it's all there.

This app is totally configurable; from adding and removing fields from the entry screen, to specifying how many stops you think N should be for your development. It's got reference items (a treatise on a very simple approach to the Zone System) and Photo Tips from Lenny as well.

Here's the iTunes link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo...ro/id374359605

I will have Lenny on the radio program here very soon.

In the meantime go look at this App on iTunes... it SMOKING COOL !!

You should really check this app out, It is truly an app for the rest of us... "Analog Photographers"

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That sounds great!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May be it is me, but I have found that a pad of paper and a pen do an excellent job. GPS?? I usually know where I am when I take a photograph.

I am sure that there are some who will find the application useful. Myself I consider it a WOMBAT.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    May be it is me, but I have found that a pad of paper and a pen do an excellent job. GPS?? I usually know where I am when I take a photograph.
    Steve:

This a DIGITAL Moleskine with even more features.

Just because we shoot old school traditional photography does not state we have to live like its 1860 !!

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think making notes in my Moleskin means I live like it's 1860... =)
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 07-01-2010 at 10:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I usually use a Moleskine, but I can see the attraction of an iPhone app, because people with iPhones usually carry them all the time anyway. It's much quicker usually to write a brief note than to type in data, but it's also handy to have an app that does photographic calculations.

I use the free iHandy level app to level the camera and measure tilt angles sometimes, but since this is a photographic calculator app, it would be cool if it could also do Scheimpflug calculations like the Rodenstock calculator, but without so many steps to remember. You know, like use the iPhone to measure the tilt of the camera base with the standards parallel to the ground and store that number, then a ruler pops up on the edge of the screen and use the iPhone to measure the distance on the groundglass between the two points that you want in focus and store that number. Then use the ruler to measure the distance on the rail between the two focal points. Then use the level to find the angle of the focal plane with respect to the lens axis, and BAM!-you've got your tilt angle.

(Yeah, I know, you can just look at the groundglass too).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmmm!
    Thumbs up from me as an iPhone 3GS owner. App works well and is full featured. I'm not at this time (possibly in the future) an LF user and downloaded it ($9.99) to assess it impartially.

At the end of the day, though, the iPhone, like all electronic devices, can run out of power (especially in 3G mode, but you don't need that on unless you're actively making a call from middle-of-nowhere), so a pencil/notebook is still the best record and a permanent one. I have a couple of other APPS I regularly consult e.g. Soluna (Sun/Moon/Sunrise/Sunset/Tides etc.) and PhotoBuddy, and the stopwatch function for pinhole shoots.

I also recommend the iHandy app for its levels, angles and bulls-eye spirit. Just make sure you have a grip on the iPhone and not let it go on an unintended expedition in the rainforest creek.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dang, I'm an imaginary photographer, not a real one. I guess I can't use this app.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Scott,

I can retire my Dell Axiom Pocket PC now, most of us are never without a cell phone.
    But, I hardly make phone calls with it. So it can definitely serve a secondary purpose.
    And it's always great support one of our own.

Enjoy The Weekend.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assumed, by the title, that this was a new ap to simulate various film emulsions for the iPhone's camera...Pleasantly surprised, but I don't have an iPhone. Hopefully this will be handy to a few people, and it's always nice to see film photography catered for, not disregarded. My bits of paper work alright, and I've always thought one of those little voice recorder things would probably be more handy.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin