Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 814

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a decent film. Nothing really seems sharp to me in the pix, though. I just did a portfolio of 8x12s from HP5, and they are plenty sharp. Grainy, but sharp grainy, even at an 8x enlargement from pushed film in Ilfotec HC 1:63 (albeit only 1/2 stop push). Maybe a shutter speed issue, or some other technical thing, or the scan. With Arista Premium at $2.20 per 36-exposure roll, I don't see the point in using it based on the examples. Then again, these are scanned negatives adjusted by a distant stranger, so it is hard to know exactly what they tell us. I was excited when it came out, thinking that it was just rebadged HP5, but I tested a roll and it obviously was not. I like it, but as I said, would not buy it when I can get Tri-X for $2.20 per roll of 36.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-09-2010 at 12:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Exactly, which is why I ordered the Arista Premium, 12 36-exp rolls. I do not mind grain at all; it is supposed to be there in 400 asa film. But the Kentmere grain seems clumpish.
    If you think these photos have hand shake, you should examine my pics with a Bessa R. I had to let it go even though it was beloved because of a neurological condition I have (CIDP: it causes, among other issues, hand tremors related to the posture in which my hands are; tremors increase the finer I try to control things with my fingers; a monopod is in my near future). The heavy, leaf-shutter Yashica is my solution for portable kit.
    My very first scanner is Epson's V300. I am delighted with it.
    Now, these pics came from my fifth roll of self-developed film (2 rolls Tri-X, 3 Kentmere), so my experience is next to nil. But I know this and much appreciate it: the Kentmere 400 dries FLAT, as if ironed and starched ...

2F/2F, speaking of grain - or little of it - here is my flickr page with photos from the Yashica and Portra vc160: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51210672@N07/
    Last edited by paulfish4570; 07-09-2010 at 04:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Paul: it would be interesting to know how do you scan. I particularly like the tonal rendition of your images. Maybe it's because you use T-Max developer...

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alessandro, it probably is the Tmax. On black and white I scan at 16-bit grayscale, 3200, and everything else off except for unsharp mask. In PP, I mess a little with contrast and brightness and such if autofix doesn't do what I want ...

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information. I am glad to know there's an option like this. Sometimes you want a grainy look.

Paulfish, I'm sorry to hear about your CIDP. I'm impressed that you are forging ahead with your photography and film development. Awesome!

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, Laura. It is more of an aggravation than anything else most days ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Does it dry very flat? that will be very helpful! I also use a V300, and I just bought some kentmere-400, can't help shooting it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I like it, but as I said, would not buy it when I can get Tri-X for $2.20 per roll of 36.
    That was 2 years ago. How does its price v quality compare now to Tri-X? Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    That was 2 years ago. How does its price v quality compare now to Tri-X? Thanks

pentaxuser
    Arista Premium 135, 36exp : $2.89
    Kentmere 400 135, 36exp : $3.99

at Freestyle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Arista Premium 135, 36exp : $2.89
    Kentmere 400 135, 36exp : $3.99

at Freestyle
    Kentmere 400 100 ft $35.99
    Arista Remium 100 ft $45.99

B&H sells the Kentmere 100 ft for 29.99. I tend to use B&H because the shipping is cheaper and I get it in 2 days with standard shipping. Freestyle gets plenty of other business from me.

J.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin