Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,589   Online: 760

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Some Kentmere 400 samples

Samples from my fifth self-developed roll. Kentmere 400, exposed in a variety of hard lighting situation; developed 6 minutes in 1-4 Tmax, 20C; Yashica Lynx 14E, fixed Yashinon-DX 45/1.4, exposures determined by camera's meter.

Tripod (30 or 15 at f8 or so):

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
    Samples from my fifth self-developed roll. Kentmere 400, exposed in a variety of hard lighting situation; developed 6 minutes in 1-4 Tmax, 20C; Yashica Lynx 14E, fixed Yashinon-DX 45/1.4, exposures determined by camera's meter.

Tripod (30 or 15 at f8 or so):
    What scanner do you use?

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Epson V300. The Kentmere film certainly is not HP5 or Tri-X, but it dries FLAT, which really helps the scanning.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
    Epson V300. The Kentmere film certainly is not HP5 or Tri-X, but it dries FLAT, which really helps the scanning.

Very very good. I like very much the tonal rendition. Do you think your scanner is up to 4x5 or 5x7 prints?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know Alessandro. Perhaps I should try.
    The little scanner is amazing me so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some great tonality there, looks good.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, Ian. Harsh highlights are difficult for the K-400 to hold, but the film is worth more than the price. I reckon when I get set up with an enlarger I will be able to squeeze a little juice out out the brightest highlights.
    I have some Arista Premium 400 on the way to try next ...

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for showing these. There's a lot of grain, to my eye. I wonder if that's from the scanner or is that a characteristic of the film? I'm asking because I think sometimes a grainy film would be nice for effect.

-Laura

p.s. - your river shot makes me think of Eudora Welty's "The Wide Net"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ins, it is grainier than Tri-X, but it is expected and has a nice look because of it. I probably will buy some more of it even if I like the Arista Premium that is on the way.
    And that one of my photos would remind someone of a Welty work is a wonderful compliment. Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Thanks for showing these. There's a lot of grain, to my eye. I wonder if that's from the scanner or is that a characteristic of the film? I'm asking because I think sometimes a grainy film would be nice for effect.

-Laura

p.s. - your river shot makes me think of Eudora Welty's "The Wide Net"
    I've been shooting some Kentmere 400 myself, and it is indeed a grainy 400 speed film ... I have mixed feelings about this myself, as the grain is very different from Tri-X grain, which I'm more used to. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes it just seems I'm staring at grain .... Which usually I love, and I can't really explain why it bothers me sometimes with Kentmere .. just a new film I have to either get used to or move on.

BTW, I've printed all mine and you can indeed get a lot more out of the highlights in the darkroom ... one thing I love about this film is the printing range ... in fact, when I first started with the negs, to my eye they looked quite dense so I grabbed for a #1 filter but can end up going to 2 or 2.5 for really rich scale and details shadows and texture in highlights. So its nice to work with. Diffusion head btw.

I bought a 100' bulk roll on a whim, so I have more left to play with. I've been developing it in Sprint 1+9 but am heading into Rodinal land with it next.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin