Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,152   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A huge THANK YOU to everyone who responded and added their thoughts to this one. Just developed 2 rolls of Ilford Pan F 35mm rated at ISO 50 and for the first time developed in Rodinal diluted at 1+50. Looking at the negatives on a light box and with a lube, the negatives look beautiful so I can't wait to get up to where I hire darkroom facilities to get some prints as film scanning just won't do then justice :-). Kind regards Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Tony,

I realize I'm a little late with this response. Thought I'd pitch in to recommend Ed Buffaloe's method with this combination:
    Shoot at ISO 50
    Rodinal 1:100 dilution
    12 min @ 68*F
    Agitate 10s every full minute

Results are great! Although it already seems like you've found your recipe for success.

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, MN
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Thomas

Thank you, all contributions are very welcome and the higher dilution information especially useful. I have posted my first Ilford Pan F / Rodinal contribution in my gallery under the title Rodinal Rose. The scan doesn't really do it justice, so more exploring / experimenting is going to follow very quickly. I really love this combination and it has finally given me the look I wanted :-)

Kind regards Tony

Images
    _Very_ nice, Tony.
    The tones even look great in the scan. The print must be gorgeous.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neil, Thank you for your kind words. The print has come out really rich and with a beautiful texture, in fact I think it's one of the best prints I have every managed. It's also come at just the right time as a local card company which produces B&W prints wants me to submit samples of my work, so this will be one of them.

Kind regards Tony

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=TPPhotog]
    I really love this combination and it has finally given me the look I wanted :-)

That is the main thing. I had been playing about with Rodinal at 1:100 with minimal agitation and gave FP4 something like 20 minutes with 5 secs agitation every 3 minutes ! Mostly floral pics and got nice negs although I have not printed any yet. Oh, I forgot to say that the developer was a few years old and the film well out of date !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Roy, maybe I should get around to playing with some of my outdated rolls soon. I'm sure my wife would appreciate the space in the fridge with summer coming lol Your times for FP4+ will also be very useful as well ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Add me to the list of Pan F+ in Rodinal users. 1:50 for 9 minutes at 72F works for me.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=TPPhotog maybe I should get around to playing with some of my outdated rolls soon.

There have been threads in recent months about members using Pyrocat with
    "partial stand" and "minimal" development agitation also about how long Rodinal lasts, you may have read them. I just thought that I would experiment a bit with a film and a developer that I was considering throwing away because of their age. Use a 120 film if you have one because it does not take so long to expose it. I usually find that when I am limited with film for some reason, it goes quickly and when I want to run it through quickly, I cannot find the subjects !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob - Welcome on-board it sounds like we will have enough for a Rodinal Forum at this rate (I jest - honest :-))

Roy - Yep I know what you mean about subjects and of course here in the UK we have the added problem that the weather also changes as soon as we stock up on film. We either lose the light or the fluffy clouds all disappear from the sky all at the same time. I've recently been given a load of out of date 120 film, so now all I need is a nice cheap Russian camera to play with them. 35mm I seem to have lots of my own but strangely no Pan F+ so it looks like Jessops here I come :-)

Tony
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 07-22-2004 at 05:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Dratted typo's :-(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin