Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,810   Online: 670

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak 1A vs. 1 Safelight Filters

I see that Kodak has just discontinued it's 1A safelight filter (Light Red) and that leaves me to choose 1(Red) is there much a a diffrence in the dakrness of the 1 vs. the 1A? Thanks

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also- Do the amber filters work on black and white paper? I had an old heavily rusted safelight given to me with a yellow filter and wondered what it may have been used for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I see that Kodak has just discontinued it's 1A safelight filter (Light Red) and that leaves me to choose 1(Red) is there much a a diffrence in the dakrness of the 1 vs. the 1A? Thanks

Patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Also- Do the amber filters work on black and white paper? I had an old heavily rusted safelight given to me with a yellow filter and wondered what it may have been used for.
    Patrick:

Kodak's Technical Information Data Sheet # TI0845 (Reissued 07-99)
    entitled "KODAK Safelight Filters" might help :

http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/p...845/ti0845.pdf

By the way, in case you don't have it, here is a link to most of Kodak's Technical Publications:

http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/p...th=13700/14472

The Safelight information is under the Reference/Miscellaneous tab.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 1 is darker than the 1A and it takes a little longer for your eyes to adjust to it. I use both OC(amber) and 1A(light red) with 25W bulbs, pointed at the ceiling, in my darkroom. Both have tested safe for VC papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 1 is quite Darker. But possibly only for now is the 1A discontinued. According to the Kodak rep for my area, one of the safelight filter machines that was nearly 100 years old broke down. The 1A was harder to make so it could only be made with this machine. As of right now, Kodak will try to make the 1A with the other machines and will decide if it is worth it to manufacture the filter again but until then they have left it labeled as discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why wait for Kodak to make new ones when so many are available used in great condition? I bought 2 10x12 1A filters for 15 bucks a few years back. Still using them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only ever used the dark red, I see no use for OC other than brightness. I use materials that are affected by OC, another deciding factor. Some papers require red only, so do ortho materials, which I use lots of both.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I have only ever used the dark red, I see no use for OC other than brightness. I use materials that are affected by OC, another deciding factor. Some papers require red only, so do ortho materials, which I use lots of both.
    Exactly! Many Eastern European papers require a dark-red filter for example. The term 'safelight' is misleading; 'darkroom light' would be more appropriate. Light-red filters must be used with extreme caution, because they fog many papers. OC is OK for most VC papers but not all.

Many darkroom workers struggle to get snappy B&W pictures and blame their materials, equipment or technique for they battle-ship gray results. All they are lacking is proper safelight. One is well advised to conduct a safelight test to determine for how long an existing safelight provides safe conditions.

Try this:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...ghtTestEd2.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Testing is indeed wise. Depending on the material I can switch filters from OC to 1A or even 1 when needed. OC for VC papers, 1A for ortho and 1 for some of the eastern European papers. The filters are easy to switch with the Kodak Model D 10x12 units I have.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Testing is indeed wise. Depending on the material I can switch filters from OC to 1A or even 1 when needed. OC for VC papers, 1A for ortho and 1 for some of the eastern European papers. The filters are easy to switch with the Kodak Model D 10x12 units I have.
    True, but I got used to the dark-red filter. It's the 'safest' of the bunch, and I just stuck to it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin