Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,642   Online: 816

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even in chromogenic materials where the imaging dyes come only into existence there are other coloured materials that exist and may be visible in the final product.

So you have in the majority of C-41 films coloured couplers intended for automatic masking, thus intended to survive processing.
    In E-6 this mask is omitted, but, as in C-41 materials, there are coloured filter layers that will turn colourless whilst processing.

If the neccessary yellow filter is made out of colloid silver, it will be bleached in the bleach bath typical to most colour processes. However in single step b&w processing, as intented by the OP there is no bleaching, and a yellow layer will remain.

Though, in case the filter layer is made out of dyes, they may turn colourless during processing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    well, 2 nites ago i processed some sensia slide film in caf130
    and they look promising. the grain is nice and the negative area not too dense
    ... i have a whole bunch of fuji sheets and big K quickloads to test this with.
    i am excited because i am film and coffee rich, and money for processing poor

thanks for the encouragement !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it was practical, it would have been a commercial product. If is was usable but not commercially practical, it would have been posted here.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    If it was practical, it would have been a commercial product. If is was usable but not commercially practical, it would have been posted here.

Steve
    except for not getting a color image
    it seems to be a usable option,
    especially since between 4 + 6$ / sheet
    to process 4x5 and 5x7 color sheets isn't a usable option
    ( and i have a bunch of it ) ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Totally unusable

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You get a yellow, foggy, B&W negative as I said above. What gave you the idea that there was no image at all?

It is, IMHO, totally unusable for anything though.

PE
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    That's exactly right, and it's completely unusable for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post

Steve
    It depends :

Zero Image 4x5 Ektar 100G slide film accidently exposed and developed in D76 1:1 as if it was HP5

After the mishap, I bleached and redeveloped the "negative" in a two bath ferricyanide/thiourea sepia toner. This got rid of most of the foggy anti-halo? layer and thus made a significant difference... giving a reasonably printable negative. Above image printed on Kentmere Fineprint VC Glossy and sepia toned.

The "negative" now looks like this:

I split grade printed the negative on the Kentmere Fineprint paper with the following settings:

8 seconds, F11, grade 4
    28 seconds, F11, grade 2.5
    burned in the centre portion (as I did with all my Amsterdam pinhole images), for about another 50 seconds at grade 2.5.

As you can see, not exceptional figures...

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 08-15-2010 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why waste or risk a good latent photograph? If you have film to waste, send it to me.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    steve

what you suggest is a waste of a latent photograph
    is the opposite for me. it is another option
    to work with camera made and hand made images.

people similar things to me when
    i make photograms on azo paper
    " why are you wasting that azo paper, send it to me "

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco;

You did a good job and got an amazing result. I stand by what I said though, in the sense that the OP said he got nothing and I suggested that he should have gotten a yellow foggy negative good for nothing. I think you have shown us that you did get what I suggested, but by very good DR technique, you turned this poor negative into something quite useful and which gave you a very nice result.

It is good to learn what can be done when someone goes beyond what I have personally done and seen. It is good to learn how to "rescue" the film. Congratulations on a very nice extension for us to process our slides. I would not have believed that the yellow filter layer and the fog could be overcome.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yellow? Unusable???

Havent you guys heard about scanners and photoshop?

Scan the yellow, and push a button and you have B&W pictures.....

or why fool arond with C41, I have a hunch Caffenol-C might do the trick, but not with 1000 ISO more likely box speed or 2x box speed.

Have a look at the Caffenol group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erik;

I recognize the utility of scanners in this case, but since it is an analog site, I did not wish to get into the scanning issue. Of course you can make a perfectly acceptable print from such a negative using a mixed workflow. I do that myself.

So, my answer should have been "unusable with current analog materials and an analog workflow" . My apologies.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin