Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,573   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford HP5+

Shooter
    35mm

Ilford HP5+

I've got 3 rolls of this on holiday with me here in Greece (plenty of other films as well) 2 35mm and 1 in 120. I plan to shoot two of them at around box EI and push the other one.

This will then be developed in D-76 in my Paterson tank.

What EIs are ideal for this film? 400, 320, 800, 1600...what do I need to consider, what works well, what do the results look like. I'm interested in just about everything about this film.

Thanks

Alex
    Last edited by Alex1994; 07-27-2010 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Alex, is it HP5 or HP5+? if it is the HP5 then that has not been made for a number of years so is very much out of date, if it is the newer HP5+ then I use it all the time, I use it at box speed and develop it in Champion promicrol, which I use at 1/19 as opposed to their 1/14, and develop for 11 minutes at 24, I would go for box speed and standard times in D 76,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    whoops HP5+, purchased very recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do a lot of photography in Greece with HP5+ and because the high contrast light there I rate it at 200.
    JON.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi,
    You can use HP5+ at it's best below 400 iso.

As I'd bet that you can read french, This article should be interesting for you.

I won't endorse the whole thing but I had quite success on this film rated from 50 to 3200 with various developpers (and better results with the Thornton 2 baths)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Jon mentioned, high contrast conditions might lead one to give slightly more exposure (he doesn't say, but I assume to hold back, or "pull" development to avoid blocked highlights).
    Why do you already know you want to "push" one roll? (Less exposure and more development). Remember, the less exposure will weaken shadow detail, which will not be strengthened by over developing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

Use it all the time at 320 souped in HC110. It may not be as flexible pushed as other choices (Tri-x). It's my go to 400 speed film.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help and the interesting article from Blanc. I would like to push a film for night photography, perhaps of a party or 'panigyri' as they are called in Greece. I think I'll go for one roll at 200, another at 400 and another at 1600, as Ilford gives dev times for D-76 at these speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mean no disrespect - but these are the things you want to test before you do any important shots, like when you're on vacation, possibly in a place you will never revisit.
    It sounds to me as if you're testing the film - while you're using it, instead of testing first to see what works before you use it for important, or valuable photographs where you want to KNOW what comes out when the film is developed.

To 'push' - deliberately under-expose the film, and then over-develop it to regain a portion of the tonal range of the film is a compromise. Why not use a film, like Delta 3200 or TMax 3200 (both are about ISO 1,000 or so) that is designed for the purpose of low light shooting?

Anybody's opinion here, or elsewhere, will likely not be perfect advice for you, since we all work differently, have different equipment and technique, and have different lighting conditions. The only reliable source of the type of information you are asking comes from your own testing.

Or, perhaps the experimentation is part of your recreation, in which case I'll stop arguing. Enjoy your vacation! Greece is a beautiful country.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    Thanks for all the help and the interesting article from Blanc. I would like to push a film for night photography, perhaps of a party or 'panigyri' as they are called in Greece. I think I'll go for one roll at 200, another at 400 and another at 1600, as Ilford gives dev times for D-76 at these speeds.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd say it depends on the light. If it's really contrasty and harsh (a safe bet for Greece) then you want to *pull*, as some have already mentioned. It will lower the contrast.

If light is average or even, then feel free to shoot either at box or push a bit -- it will be contrastier but it's a nice film anyway.

HP5+ is a fairly forgiving film so check Ilford's stats (and the Massive Dev. Chart) for a good starting point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin