Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,499   Online: 1034

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

pyrocat hd and the UK

I have been using dixactol with some very good and also some very bad results! However since the supply has now dried up I would like to try Pyrocat HD, is it possible to obtain it premixed like dixactol, or will I have to mix it from rax chemicals? If it can be obtained in the UK,where? I think silverprint only stocks PMK.

Thanks.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Chris Lee]If it can be obtained in the UK,where?

I believe Michael Maunder, Speedibrews, will supply it but I do not know whether he stocks it or mixes it up to order. A UK resident on this forum did buy some but I cannot remember who it was. I order mine on line from Photographers Formulary and I think I am correct in saying that others over here have used Artcraft. Photographers Formulary supply kits to which you add water and I have found them to be quite quick. Have a look at their website.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No need to go outside Europe. Lotus View Camera in Austria supply Pyrocat HD in liquid kit form, and in quite handy, plastic bottles too (http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/). I have been buying from them since last year and found the quality to be superb and consistent. I believe they may have been the first to sell Pyrocat HD in liquid kit form, hence the quality of their product.

Chris,

I am in the UK and mix my own Pyrocat HD. I mix the Metol variant. Very easy to do and you can get everything you need from Rayco in the UK http://www.rayco-chemicals.co.uk/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    I have been using dixactol with some very good and also some very bad results! However since the supply has now dried up I would like to try Pyrocat HD, is it possible to obtain it premixed like dixactol, or will I have to mix it from rax chemicals? If it can be obtained in the UK,where? I think silverprint only stocks PMK.

Thanks.
    So far as I know Pyrocat-HD is not distributed in kit form in the UK. However, on the continent you can buy a kit from Lotus.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hi - it is me who buys pyrocat hd from michael maunders at speedibrews (www.speedibrews.co.uk)- he weighs and mixes up the dry chemicals for me to make into solution. email him if you're interested, he is very helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Moersch Tanol is a staining/tanning developer that should be not too different from pyrocat-hd as it also uses pyrocatechin in combination with a phenidon derivative.

Unfortunately as of today there is only a german description online but the sample-pictures are nevetheless interesting:

http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/bi...e=tanol&bild=0

Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Stefan

Could one presume that in Moerch's photos the ones in which negative size is not specified are 35mm?

Thanks,

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorge,

I would assume the square ones are 120 <g> as I know Wolgang Moersch uses a Hasselblad for part of his own work. Besides that I wouldn't assume anything but when I visited one of his seminars he showed me some 30x40cm prints from 35mm developed in tanol which looked quite convincing. Fine grain but a little less sharpness than I know is possible from this format. The latter can as well have its reason in technique as development. He btw. commented on my own pyrocat-negs that I should stick with my working combo (TMY in pyrocat 1+1+100) as it obviously shows the same benefits one can expect from his product. He expects very small differences.

An example of my own work printed during this workshop is shown here:
    http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/bi...kahlert&bild=1

best

Stefan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin