Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,374   Online: 1071

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Water quality

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An aside:

Anyway, what's this 'pure water'? A powerful solvent of almost everything it comes in contact with.

That raindrop originally formed on a condensation nucleus - a speck of something that isn't water - before they started to pick up gaseous impurities. Water vapour doesn't just condense on its own when the air is over-saturated, nor does an airborne water drop freeze when the temperature falls below 0°C / 32°F. Apart from anything else, that dehumidifier/aircon condensate contains the invisible sub-micron particles floating round in the air. Distilled water may have impurites carried by the steam from the boiling water. It's all quite clean, but it isn't pure, and neither is driven snow.

This is of no relevance to the purity required for photographic processing, just an observation on the behaviour of water and the idea that rainwater, condensate, single-distilled water etc can be truly 'pure'. Well, the idea interests me, if no-one else.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fortunately, my tap water is good quality, or at least enough for Budweiser to use the same source. I mainly use distilled in the final rinses to prevent spotting. Though with color I use nothing but distilled, it seems to be very finicky when it comes to water.

Anyway, has anyone else considered just building a still? If a hillbilly in West Virginia can do it, if figure that I might have a chance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About water:

A wise danish man onde said:

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3][FONT=Lucida Console]"I will not drink something a long-haired hippie once walked on..."[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Images
    Lets all remember that Edward S Curtis, ansel adams, and the kolb brothers washed their negatives in streams. Granted they were much less polluted then but I know for a fact the Kolb brothers used some seriously mineral tainted water that was flowing from a crack in the side of the Grand Canyon, it was some seriously hard water too. You can see the minerals embadded in their plates. their negatives are still around and in pristine condition unless you stored them like the Kolb brothers. In a big stack where the weight ended up cracking the bottom plates.

Just my 2 cents.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captainwookie
    Fortunately, my tap water is good quality, or at least enough for Budweiser to use the same source.
    Is that supposed to be an indication of quality?

-- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Dave and Jim !
    THe problem is bacteria. Your de humidifier is in a dark wet basement. You may have some sort of bacteria or fungus in the water. (does the water smell ?)
    When I was young at my camera club we mixed old recipes ..... And we used boiled water. Boilling water remove hardness, drives dissolved gasses out and help coagulate the organic stuff in it. This water was filtered using coffee filters and used for dev. mixing. We had very good keeping properties doing so.

Shooter
    35mm

Water filters

One of the best purchases i ever made was to put water filters on my darkroom water lines. I was getting particulate matter from the house's water supply. Since adding 5 micron filters that problem is gone.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    We have awful well water out here in the country. It’s been tested safe to drink, but we don’t like to. We drink bottled water from 5 gallon jugs that a service delivers. The house has a water softener. If I remember to get salt it works. I have added a 1 micron filter for the cold water going into the darkroom. I need to locate a filter that will work at the hot water temperatures. Normally when I fill the CPP-2 Jobo to even all chemical temperatures I fill several 1 gallon jugs with cold filtered water. By the time I develop the B&W film, the gallon jugs have warmed up to close to room temperature, warm enough for the wash cycles. The empty gallon jugs formerly had distilled water in them so I know they are clean.

There still seems to be a speck or two of grit after the wash cycles in the Jobo. I now use a gallon of distilled water with a drop or two of Photo-Flo in a final 30 sec wash in a separate stainless tank. As you probably know, you are not supposed to use Photo-Flo in the Jobo. Now the 4x5 negs look clear and clean. I will be adding 8x10 this week. I just got a taller 8x10 stainless tank down at the eBay store to use for the final wash.

As Dave Miller suggested hanging the film out to dry can be a dust problem. My solution is a portable canvas storage closet that Bed Bath & Beyond sells here. It is the size of a single bed mattress. To give a narrow profile it stands vertically on a wheeled frame in the guest room. The canvas lets the moisture out while filtering the outside dust. When guests come, they flock here for the water tastings, we wheel the storage container/film dryer into my wife’s painting studio. She is entertaining then, not painting. We could also put it in the darkroom, but that is three flights down in the basement.

To help maintain our fine quality of water the Photography Department at the local university lets me dump my spent fixer in their silver reclaiming process. If I don’t take any summer courses we have a few gallons stored up by September, but we got jugs galore.

John Powers

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    About water:

A wise danish man onde said:

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3][FONT=Lucida Console]"I will not drink something a long-haired hippie once walked on..."[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Are you sure he wasn't talking about wine?
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    My well water is hard but tastes good. The well next door is sulfur and iron water. Go figure. If I am using a borate or TEA as base, I use well water. It precipitates a lot of calcium-magnesium carbonate in something like D-72, so I either use rain water, dehumidifier water or Calgon in the well water.

Hard water is said to be good for the heart. A travelling salesman tried to sell me a water softener once. He put on a show by dropping stuff in my well water. He said "Would you drink that sludge?" I said "Not after you put that stuff in it. What is that sludge?" He said "Calcium and magnesium. Your water is very polluted. It has 1 gram of calcium per gallon." I went and got my bottle of calcium tablets and said "You mean if I drink a gallon a day of this polluted water I won't have to buy these pills?" He went off sadly.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin