Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 691

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Water quality

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Water quality

Like most people, water quality (usually hard tap water) is a problem and most have suggested the use of distilled water (usually at the clearing stages of film dev.). I was just wondering if anyone had used water from a Britta water filter?

thanks

Shmoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi shmoo -

i haven't used britta water, but i have a big "whole house filter" on my main waterline.

it would be very expensive, but i would love to have a diatomaceous earth filter and a cistern, that filter would get *everything* out of the water.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Every night when I dump the water out of the dehumidifier in the basement I wonder if this water can be used for mixing chemicals.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Every night when I dump the water out of the dehumidifier in the basement I wonder if this water can be used for mixing chemicals.

Jim
    I would depend how clean the air was that had been dehumidified.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I would depend how clean the air was that had been dehumidified.

Dave,

That's what I thought. typical damp (but clean) basement. The water "Looks" crystal clear when I dump it, but I know that doesn't say much for the quality of it.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Like most people, water quality (usually hard tap water) is a problem and most have suggested the use of distilled water (usually at the clearing stages of film dev.). I was just wondering if anyone had used water from a Britta water filter?

thanks

Shmoo
    Nope, the Britta filter use a combination mesh/activated carbon system to remove some impurities but they do not remove hardness.

If you want to remove hardness you need a water softening system that uses ion exchange resins, these system, by their nature also filter grit, etc, etc.

Since I worked in the industrial water purification industry, I was lucky to have all the deionized water I wanted. Since I moved to Mexico, that is no longer an option, heck, they dont even sell distilled water here, dont know what it is. So I started using drinking water from bottles and that has worked fine. The specs for drinking water are good enough for film developing, you dont need deionized or distilled water.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    The specs for drinking water are good enough for film developing, you dont need deionized or distilled water.
    I can confirm this, I now use bottled water from my local Tesco supermarket. At 18p per litre it doesn't add much to the cost of film developing, but does save on spotting time.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Images
    Good Afternoon,

When I lived in a different community years ago, I found it nearly impossible to mix D-76 using the local tap water. I started using water from a dehumidifier and had no further problems. I'm sure that keeping the collection pan clean is important, but it's worth a try, and it's a lot cheaper than buying distilled water.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    ... Since I moved to Mexico, that is no longer an option, heck, they dont even sell distilled water here, dont know what it is. So I started using drinking water from bottles and that has worked fine. The specs for drinking water are good enough for film developing, you dont need deionized or distilled water.
    Jorge, that evoked memories of our hotel in Merida, Yucatan, where there was bottled water delivered to our room as part of the sevice. Our room was on the second floor, overlooking the alley. I awoke about 5:30am to the sound of clinking glass, looked out the window and saw hotel employees filling the water bottles from a hose. I figured I was ok anyway because I was drinking Leon Negra (beer of the conquistadores) - not water.

I am not advocating beer as a substitute for water in photographic applications!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Good Afternoon,

When I lived in a different community years ago, I found it nearly impossible to mix D-76 using the local tap water. I started using water from a dehumidifier and had no further problems. I'm sure that keeping the collection pan clean is important, but it's worth a try, and it's a lot cheaper than buying distilled water.

Konical
    If the collection pan is kept scrupulously clean dehumidifier water should be perfect. Think about it, it is water that comes from the air, much like...well, rain. One of the purest kind of water known.

Tom, if Negra Modelo was able to develop my film and stain it, I would be in trouble...not sure I would finish a developing session..

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin