Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,197   Online: 810

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Being a newbie ('round here at least) I agree that you should do what ever floats yer boat. The thrill of discovery is wonderful and mistakes are always an unearthing of something. Have fun and enjoy. Don't accept rigid doctrines lest boredom and frustration become constant companions. I'm off to f*#k something up. Have a nice day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I have over five decades in photography I think that their is nothing wrong in taking the last decade to go back into the darkroom for both color and black & white, expand from 35mm to MF and now to LF. Because of the digital revolution I can now afford to buy equipment that I could only dream about.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    [SIZE=1]Wirelessly posted[/SIZE]

I'm all over the place on this one. I got where I am today by going from one bit of gadgetry to the next. I am where I am today by sticking with the 'ones'. I do grow tired occasionally and it is then that I take a matchbox and make a pinhole camera and totally go against any and all photographic paradigms. This infuses freshness into my work so that I can continue my work with my chosen 'ones'. One cannot grow if one insists upon staying in one place or another. And it is folly to preach one over the other when there are few if any who have never strayed over that imaginary line.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the point that is being made is that there are so many questions around "what is the best..." and "how do I...(do something to achieve better results)". There seem to be many, many folks who are interested in actually achieving satisfying results and improving their craft....and not so many who just want to engage in endless diddling around and photo masturbation.

So, the point is, if you're serious about trying to improve as a photographer, then eliminate as many variables as possible and focus on mastery of something. If you just want to diddle-daddle around...that's fine but don't ask a bunch of "What's the best...."...because, it doesn't really matter.

It is easy to dismiss something that requires discipline if you've never tried it. What Weston recommends actually does work...surprisingly well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    [SIZE=1]Wirelessly posted[/SIZE]

Well said, Brad.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    +1 Brad!

I don't stop by here much anymore because I get tired of the 'I need a new developer for **** film' or 'Brand X developer is so much superior to 'Brand Y' or 'How did I f**k up my negs so bad?' Kinda miss the good ol' days when photography was about art instead of equipment/materials.

Someone once said, 'That's progress.' I beg to differ.

PS. I love the one over on photo.net: 'Can I use Photoflo in my dishwasher?' Unbelievable!
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Since I have over five decades in photography I think that their is nothing wrong in taking the last decade to go back into the darkroom for both color and black & white, expand from 35mm to MF and now to LF. Because of the digital revolution I can now afford to buy equipment that I could only dream about.

Steve
    Boy does this describe me. I can now toy with all the stuff that would have cost me more than my house 20 years ago. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the digital revolution coincided with the graduation of my kid. So not only are the prices falling through the floor, but they're doing so at a time I have an empty nest.

I've picked up more pretty decent gear in the past few years than I could have ever imagined, and all of it together cost less than the used car my wife is barking for right now.

Now, is it a distraction? Sure. It's been very hard trying to figure out what's "good for me" and what's not. But I'm honing it down, and in the long run I think I'll be better off for the couple of years experimenting.

And if there's any doubt, I used to buy 135 Tri-X at Wal-Mart, and now even finding film at Wal-Mart is getting harder. Not only did the digital revolution open doors for me, it closed familiar doors and forced me to move along. So even if I didn't want all the new toys I would still have to change. Since I'm forced to change, let's open up the doors and experiment.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah,I know what you mean

I'm a serious artist--I used only one color and one brush, Everything I paint is green.Some people think I'm and OCD nutjob and try to lead my down the slippery slope of the primary colors. When that happens I just show them my paintings(of bell peppers).
    They are usually quite impressed.

You think I'm bad-----I know a Shaolin Priest that went in the darkroom in '98--

he hasn't been seen since---THAT'S serious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I'm still excited simply to get visible images!!

I'm amazed everytime I pull a strip of film from the tank.
    Pure science/chemical process aside, I'm glad to see someone mentioning the simple joy of [re]discovery that makes up part of the act of image-making. I go through the same thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    Another interesting story about Weston, IIRC, told by Minor White. They are out shooting among sand dunes. Weston is metering, White is thinking Zone 8 for the bright areas, etc, making mental calculations, as Ansel would recommend. Weston meters overall with the Weston meter (not a spot meter), and says simply, "I'll give 3 more stops..." He knows he'll take care of the rest of it in the darkroom.
    This is an odd quote since both Brett and Cole told me Edward never used a light meter.
    The Weston meter has nothing to do with Edward or any of his sons or grandson.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin