Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,618   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    It's interesting that you got warmer tones from Amidol than 130. I got cold tones from Michael's amidol formula (using distilled water) - and warmer tones with 130 (the kit from Photographers Formulary.) I wonder if the glycol is the variable, or something else.

I tried Rodinal with Azo a couple of times. The first time, I used a dilution of 1:20, I believe, and thought the results were soot and chalk. Later, I tried 1:10 and liked the results better. Someone on this forum was using Rodinal with good results. Maybe he'll jump in.
    juan
    Hi Juan, I am virtually certain that the restrainer (KBr) quantity is the variable.

I mix all my chemistry with 18 megaohm deionized water (continuous quality monitoring) so that shouldn't be a factor.

I made a mass spectrometer run on a sample of the Glycin powder and it is the real stuff - high purity, too.

I mixed my Ansco 130 (and my PPPD) without KBr. I developed several work prints and observed high developer activity and warm tones (warmer than the MS Amidol).

Then I added 6 ml of 10% KBr to the Ansco 130. The developer activity slowed down and the tones went to blue/black (deep blacks - very nice). The prints have a lot of visual "snap."

I expect that if I use 2ml of 10% KBr per liter of working solution Ansco 130 I will get a warmer toned image than the MS Amidol. According to the literature, I can lower also the contrast with Ansco 130 by increasing the dilution.

Time for a second round of tests!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The KBr cold be it. The Formulary 130 has 5.5g KBr in the 1-liter kit.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The KBr cold be it. The Formulary 130 has 5.5g KBr in the 1-liter kit.
    juan
    Excellent pun, Juan.

Yes, I put twice that amount of KBr into my working developer. I won't call it a mistake - just serendipity.
    Tom Hoskinson

Images
    It might be cheaper to use an essence of Rodinal. The magic of Rodinal is in its concentration and use of p-aminophenol HCl. This formula came from a Air Force photography manual of 1941.

p-aminophenol HCl 7 grams
    sodium sulfite (desicated) 50 grams
    sodium carbonate (anhydrous) 50 grams
    water to 1 liter

It was specified for tropical use on film. No change up to 80 F. Add sodium sulphate above 80 F. Should work for paper as well.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any idea where to buy reasonable quantities of p-aminophenol HCl? A quick look at the usual suspects, and a quick Googling, turn up nothing except site dealing in hundreds of kilograms.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any idea where to buy reasonable quantities of p-aminophenol HCl? A quick look at the usual suspects, and a quick Googling, turn up nothing except site dealing in hundreds of kilograms.
    juan
    I have a sealed, 1 pound brown glass jar of it that I bought some time ago as a hedge against Agfa stopping production of Rodinal. I think it came from Baker, but I'll take a look.

Photographer's Formulary lists it for $41.00 a pound and they also list it in various smaller quantities.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, it's under the "A" not under the "P"
    juan

Images
    I had some p-aminophenol from P. F. and tried 1/2 tablespoon of that with a tablespoon each of sulfite and carbonate in a liter for a quickie. It needed to be diluted 1:1 to resemble the potency of working strength Dektol. A print from 35 mm on Arista VC FB showed good tones, but I have no AZO to test it on.

This was the plain p-aminophanol, no HCl. The p-aminophenol HCl I had in stock (no wonder Kodak calle it Kodelon) had turned so black that I couldn't see a print thorugh a half inch of it
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I had some p-aminophenol from P. F. and tried 1/2 tablespoon of that with a tablespoon each of sulfite and carbonate in a liter for a quickie. It needed to be diluted 1:1 to resemble the potency of working strength Dektol. A print from 35 mm on Arista VC FB showed good tones, but I have no AZO to test it on.

This was the plain p-aminophanol, no HCl. The p-aminophenol HCl I had in stock (no wonder Kodak calle it Kodelon) had turned so black that I couldn't see a print thorugh a half inch of it
    Hi Pat, I'll give it a try with Azo.

Have you tried dissolving p-aminophenol in glycol or TEA?
    Tom Hoskinson

Images
    Yes, but I don't remember the results. I can try again. IIRC, the HCl was more soluble. Actually, if you can humble yourself as I have to using teaspoon measurements, It will be just about as quick to mix up the stuff in water solution as needed. I would probably play with the amount of sulfite, and probably use ascorbic acid with little or no sulfite to see what effect it has on print quality. I know there is a degree of synergism between p-aminophenol and AA as I found with Rodinal and AA.

It would be nice if a mixture were found that mimiced amidol at less cost and longer shelf life. I have an old 5X7 view camera that I seldom use. Maybe I should get it out and get some Azo while I still can.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin