Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 699

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    I should add, my Daddy used to say every once in a while, "Let's don't and say we did" or " let's do and say we didn't" especially when he wanted to play a trick on someone. He was a Doctor of Philosophy and Philology in English Literature, so he had to get some fun somehow. If we could not use amidol and get away with saying we did, wouldn't that be fun?
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    I measured 1/2 tablespoon of the p-aminophenol and found it was only 4 grams. In other words, the developer I found to be about as active as Dektol had 2 grams PAP (for short), 20 grams sodium sulfite, and about 25 grams sodium carbonate in a liter.

I added about 6 grams of isoascorbic acid (obtainable from the KIC Group at a good price as erythorbic acid) to the liter I had just ued and reprinted the same negative. There is no visible difference between the two 8X10 prints. The rate of development was about the same, probably because the reduction in pH due to the added acid countered the expected inrease in activity due to superadditivity. My next trial will be to decrease the sulfite, thus depending on the ascorbate to preserve as well as superadd. Unlike hydroquinone, ascorbic acid or its mirror image do not need sulfit for superadditivity with phenidone or the aminophenols. If we are trying for an easy-mix print developer that works like Rodinal, a minimal amount of sulfite is what many say gives Rodinal part of its mystique. IMHO, adding some ascorbate to Rodinal working solution leaves the Rodinal sharpness but reduces its granularity a smidgeon.

To invert a phrase: "OK, it works that way in real life, but will it work that way on paper?" We'll see.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    To invert a phrase: "OK, it works that way in real life, but will it work that way on paper?" We'll see.
    Ah Pat - I see that you are out on the slippery slope already!

Next, you'll be hauling out that 5x7.

I could send you a dozen sheets of 8x10 Azo to get you hooked...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Hey, I live in West Virginia about 1000 feet above sea level with another 200 or so to the top of the mountain. In the winter and sometimes in the summer, there's nothing but slippery slopes around here.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is an P-Aminophenol/Hydroquinone Universal Formula - Kodak DK-93

Water (125 F) ----------------------------- 500ml
    P-Aminophenol Hydrochloride (HCL) ---------- 5 grams
    Sodium Sulfite ----------------------------- 30 grams
    Hydroquinone ------------------------------ 2.5 grams
    Sodium Metaborate ------------------------ 20 grams
    Potassium Bromide ------------------------- 0.5 grams
    Cold water to ------------------------------ 1 liter

For roll film developed in tanks, as a starting point, use without dilution and develop for 9 minutes at 68 F .

For warm tones on paper use without dilution and develop for 2 minutes at 68 F.

For colder tones on paper, double the quantity of metaborate and develop for 1 to 2 minutes at 68 F.
    Tom Hoskinson

Images
    That sounds a bit like what I just tried since my last post only a heck of a lot different, but I used isoascorbic acid instead of hydroquinone and TEA as acivator and no sulfite. It gives warm tones on Arista VC FB paper, but I'm not yet satisfied with the gradations. It may just be a Iittle too soft working. I'll play with it some more.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds interesting Pat. Maybe if you added a little carbonate or metaborate to give it a "kick?"
    Tom Hoskinson

Images
    My sentiments precisely. I didn't like the carbonate results, but I started over with a mixture of 10 g PAP + 100 g isoascorbic acid in 250 ml of propylene glycol + 250 ml of TEA. Most of it dissolved at about 150 F. Probably a gram of something was left in the pitcher. Used 60 ml of this + 1 tbs borax + 1 tsp of lye in a liter of water. The alkali is not much different from metaborate. This gave nice gradations and a surprisingly warm tone, but too much fog, so I added a pinch of bromide. I like this pretty well, but it really should have another pinch of bromide to keep the edges white.

It doesn't sound very scientific, but after I get it working I can make up a science to go with it, like everybody else. I can weigh my spoonfulls and pinches and have everybody weighing it to the milligram. Of course, I'm just poking fun.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good stuff, Pat! Looks like you are homing in on it.

I ran across another aminophenol formula in Dignan's September 1973 newsletter. This one (The Pain Killer Developer) is from Walter C. Snyder and utilizes 10 500mg Acetaminophen (Tylenol or generic equivalent) tablets. This formula is said to give Rodinal - like results.

Water (100 F) --------------------------------400ml
    Acetaminophen ------------------------------ 10 500mg tablets, crushed

On dissolution of the crushed tablets, a white precipitate will form. Do not filter at this time. Cool solution to 70 F and slowly add the following, stirring thoroughly.

Sodium Bisulfite ------------------------------ 30 grams
    Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) ----------------------- 25 grams
    Potassium Bromide ---------------------------- 6 grams
    Edwal Orthazite* ------------------------------- 30ml
    Water to -------------------------------------- 500 ml

* I would leave the Orthazite out and add Benzotriazole to the working developer until I like the results.

Filter the solution twice though clean wads of sterile cotton and store in 2 oz amber glass bottles.

To use, dilute the stock solution 1:6 with water. Snyder recommends a developing time of 18 to 20 minutes at 72 F with Kodak Plus X.

Generic Acetaminophen 500mg tablets/caplets are about 2 cents apiece.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my Google search for PAP, I noted that Tylenol showed up as a similar chemical. I thought it was nuts to think it could be a developer, so I avoided the embarrassment of suggesting such a fool thing here. Looks like it's not so foolish after all.
    juan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin