Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 788

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi Tom, any idea what the time frame for this is? My shooting has been close to my home lately. I'd say my sessions last 3 hours max. So should I shoot, clear, then place in a water bath until I get home, or just leave them in the clearing bath and try to get home within an hours time? thanks
    What I would do is expose the film, pull the packet out of the Polaroid back without processing and store it (them) til you get home. Use your Polariod back to process the packets. Separate the film from the print. If you like, you can first remove the viscous monobath goo and antihalation die with a wash in an 18% solution of sodium sulfite. Alternatively, put the film straight into the hardening fixer bath, which will clear it and harden it in one step. Then wash, photoflo and dry like normal film.

An alternative would be a place field processed negatives in Tupperware container filled with an 18% sodium sulfite solution. Then fix/harden them for about 2 minutes in the same container when you get home. 55PN negs are easy to scratch before they are hardened.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have used both a glassless carrier and a negatron with 55, it is not the same size as 4x5 negatives and you will also need to get a special print file for them as they do not fit in the 4 x5 negative print files.

I have been doing a special project with this film for almost 2 years and i love the film and the look but have had some serious issues. Polariod has been helpful and replaced some film as there was a factory defect, but it has been madding.

Polaroid does make a special film clearing bucket that has a circular neg holder basket. It holds about ten negatives and keeps them separated from one another while clearing. Best bet though is to process the polaroids once back at the studio, less chance of uneven processing, scratching and gook getting on the negative.

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    so just to confirm this. You guys are saying that it is possible to remove the shots from the pack film holder one at a time and then dev them later? Just want to make sure you're not thinking that I am talking about 4x5 polaroid backs using single sheets. I'll be using the packs. I'll probably see what you mean once I buy a pack to look at. Thanks

P.S. also, I see a lot of mention that the positive must be 'coated' immediately. Coated with what?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    so just to confirm this. You guys are saying that it is possible to remove the shots from the pack film holder one at a time and then dev them later? Just want to make sure you're not thinking that I am talking about 4x5 polaroid backs using single sheets. I'll be using the packs. I'll probably see what you mean once I buy a pack to look at. Thanks

P.S. also, I see a lot of mention that the positive must be 'coated' immediately. Coated with what?
    The type 55 sheets can be removed from the holder without processing it by not moving the roller lever and just pushing on the release button. This is how you use Quickloads in the holder as well. I have no idea on the pack film.

The Sheet film comes with 4 coating sponges, impregnated with coating goo, for 20 sheets of film. I assume the pack does as well. You do not need to coat the prints unless you plan on keeping them - they don't fade that quickly. In fact I don't coat them until I get home (usually less than 4 hours). The reason for this is that the coating takes a long time to dry and collects dust and crap. This ruins the print much more than a slight bit of fading, which I have never personally seen. This is all for type 55. It may be different for the pack films.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Does type 55 come in 4x5" packs? If it does, I don't think there's an easy way to remove shets from a pack for processing later. I don't see it on Polaroid's website:

http://www.polaroid.com/products/pro...ll&sc=Packfilm

You can get a 545 holder used for around $100. I'd just get one and use sheets, if you want to shoot type 55 in 4x5".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Type 55 is P/N sheet so with the 545 Holder/Back you can delay development.

Polaroid's wesbite does not list a 4x5 P/N pack.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsatterlee
    Type 55 is P/N sheet so with the 545 Holder/Back you can delay development.

Polaroid's wesbite does not list a 4x5 P/N pack.
    There is a holder for the packfilm. I think it is #405. I'm sure it is listed on the Land List. I don't think it will work on a spring back being too thick, but it should work with a graflok back, though I've never tried it since I don't own one. You can't expose each sheet in the packfilm without processing though.

Maybe you can pull the sheet film (55) out of the 545 holder and bypass processing till later, but I'm not sure you can do it with the older type 400 holder. I've never tried opening the latch for cleaning the rolls and removing the sheet. I'll have to try it and see.

But, I have to wonder why bother? Just process and then put the neg in a plastic bag or tupperware with some water. I guess you won't have as much trash, but that doesn't weigh much. Though, if it works I guess there would be some advantage to not having a trash bag to carry around.
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

You can only remove individual sheets without processing, it is type 55. You cannot remove the sheets individually from the pack film holders unless you take it in the darkroom and then you would probably screw up several other sheets.

The 405 holder does fit in spring back cameras such as Sinar's and Horeseman's. It looks like it is way to thick but it works just fine. I used to use the 405 "pack film" polaroid before most of the catalog work went digital.

Both the 545 and 405 are for 4x5 cameras. The 545 uses individual sheets such as Type 55. The 405 holder uses pack film instead of sheets. The 405 Polaroid produces a slightly larger image area than the 545. An example of the type of Polaroid used in the 405 holder is Type 559, the old style emulsion of color Polaroid. I just looked at B&H's and Calumets web site and I did not see Type 555. That is what the designation would be for pack film black and white P/N 4x5 Polaroid. I'm pretty sure they used to make it, I think a friend of mine in college in the late '80's and early '90's used it.

As far as the 405 holder is concerned, I consider it the black sheep of the Polaroid family. Most people prefer the 545 holder even though you get a larger image size on the 405.

Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin