Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,984   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Polaroid Type 55

I have used other polaroid materials, but not 55. I assume it has a thin negative base and if so any problems in using a glassless negative carrier?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used type 55N and the negative is fine - I read somewhere that its an older Kodak film. If the photo is about 1 stop overexposed, then the negative should be fine ( paper is ISO 50 while film is ISO 25 - only can imagine why).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use 25-40 ISO for a neg based on what I read somewhere else. Probably http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm I find I get an OK print and a good neg at 40 in most cases, but ymmv.

The neg is a little bit too big for a glassless carrier on my Omega D2V. A glass carrier can be had on ebay pretty cheaply. I think there is a special polaroid glassless carrier too. Not sure about other enlarger types.

For my 4x5 glassless holder on the Omega D2V if I trim the neg down a little so that it fits on the glassless it works OK. I used to just chop it off in the paper cutter before I got the glass carrier.

The polaroid 400 4x5 back works fine and is cheap on ebay. Just read the instructions on using it on the Land List, as it is possible to pull the packet out too far with the older holder.

And, of course, you have to clear the negative. You can just put it in a tupperware like sandwich container with some water or a plastic bag with some water until you can put it in the clearing solution. And it can stay a long time in the clearing solution with no ill effect I think based on my experiments. Washing is probably a little longer than with most film.

Good luck,

William
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Didn't even think about the negative being to big for the carrier. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wdemere
    The neg is a little bit too big for a glassless carrier on my Omega D2V. A glass carrier can be had on ebay pretty cheaply. I think there is a special polaroid glassless carrier too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there is some good information here on the 665 pack film. I've been investigating this for use with my Mamiya645 and polaroid back:

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jpalm..._negative.html

If anyone wants to share their experiences with using 665 negatives with medium format to print with, I'd be more than interested!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The problem with type 55 here in Holland (Europe) is that it has become terribly expensive these last few years. It was never cheap. But 100 $ for 20 sheets is just too much for my budget. It's a pity, because I loved these negatives.

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wdemere
    And, of course, you have to clear the negative. You can just put it in a tupperware like sandwich container with some water or a plastic bag with some water until you can put it in the clearing solution. And it can stay a long time in the clearing solution with no ill effect I think based on my experiments. Washing is probably a little longer than with most film.

Good luck,

William
    I have used a lot of 55PN over the years and it is very similar to Kodak Panatomic X.

Polaroid recommends immersing the negative within 3 minutes of separation, in an 18% solution of sodium sulfite, with continuous agitation until cleared. This should be followed by a water wash.

For enlargements, Polaroid recommends two minutes in an acid hardening bath, followed by a water wash. A hardening fixer bath, followed by a water wash, will work equally well, in my experience.

If the negatives are soaked too long in the clearing bath, the emulsion can swell with undesireable consequences for image sharpness.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    The problem with type 55 here in Holland (Europe) is that it has become terribly expensive these last few years. It was never cheap. But 100 $ for 20 sheets is just too much for my budget. It's a pity, because I loved these negatives.

Gilbert
    wow that's pricey. The polaroid back for my mamiya645 super takes 3-1/4 x 4-1/4" pack film. This size in 665 is $14.95US for 10 sheets. But I am not sure what quality the negs have, if they come out blotchy and spotted or just look like normal negs? If they look somewhat normal with a nice scale it might be a good alternative for me to try with my current lack of time. I could head down to the rocks, make some 655 negs, go back to the darkroom and clear them, then print that night..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If the negatives are soaked too long in the clearing bath, the emulsion can swell with undesireable consequences for image sharpness.
    Hi Tom, any idea what the time frame for this is? My shooting has been close to my home lately. I'd say my sessions last 3 hours max. So should I shoot, clear, then place in a water bath until I get home, or just leave them in the clearing bath and try to get home within an hours time? thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    wow that's pricey. The polaroid back for my mamiya645 super takes 3-1/4 x 4-1/4" pack film. This size in 665 is $14.95US for 10 sheets. But I am not sure what quality the negs have, if they come out blotchy and spotted or just look like normal negs? If they look somewhat normal with a nice scale it might be a good alternative for me to try with my current lack of time. I could head down to the rocks, make some 655 negs, go back to the darkroom and clear them, then print that night..
    55 and 665 is the same thing in a different size and package. The negs are just beautiful when processed like they should be.

Type 55 can be unloaded without processing. Back home you process and wash them when it suits you. Just remember not to write data on the sleeves with a pencil. Use a felt pen.

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin